Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Credit card and debit card surcharge rip-off

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Credit card and debit card surcharge rip-off

Post by papa_umau on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 11:12 am

I reported in ROB a number of weeks ago that the Which? magazine had been in the forefront of gaining the stopping of this particular rip-off, but seemingly there are many card-companies and online retail stores STILL ripping of their clients with heavy surcharges for the use of credit or debit cards.

If any of the ROBsters or their family or friends have still been ripped off this way please report it to me and I will go to the authorities with the results.

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Credit card and debit card surcharge rip-off

Post by zathrus on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

Yeah, I thought this had stopped too.

I must admit that I haven't been charged for using my credit card for a very long time.

I still believe that the travel agencies do charge a fee for organising and paying for package holidays, but as I have not had one of those for years I cannot really comment.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:36 am

I find that it is always best to ask up-front if a charge is to be made for a credit-card purchase, if there is it is often better to make the purchase with a bank debit card, as invariably these purchases do not come with fees.

Two points to consider here:

1 ). You may have to transfer the money needed from your credit card to your current account so that the large expenditure, for a holiday, for example, is covered in your current account.

2 ). One must remember that money paid out for any such reason from an ordinary bank account will not carry as good protection as that which is available when using a credit card.

Yes, that is a complicated thing to do in order to save the commission charges levied on a straight credit-card transaction.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:52 pm