Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Labour's MPs secretly ordered not to talk about immigration.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12199
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Labour's MPs secretly ordered not to talk about immigration.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:32 am

In a secret Labour strategy document report on UKIP, acquired by The Telegraph, ( they say ), it was revealed that Labour MPs were told not to campaign on immigration.

Exclusive: Document sent to Labour MPs and seen by The Telegraph suggests 'moving the conversation on' if immigration arises and advises against writing to voters on issue.

Labour MPs have been secretly ordered not to campaign on immigration because doing so could cost them the next election, says the Telegraph. In this document it warns that the bigger immigration becomes as a campaign issue the more votes the party will lose.

Read the whole Telegraph story HERE

This suggests to me that Labour want the Tories and the UKIP party to slug it out on this issue, as it is just too divisive to get caught up in, in public.

Do you agree on this premise ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Labour's MPs secretly ordered not to talk about immigration.

Post by zathrus on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:56 am

I think that one is now an "open" secret.

If you think about it, that sounds like a very good idea when we see the damage that is being done to the Tories over that subject.

I say let the Tories and UKIP keep squabbling over immigration as there is much more to British politics than that.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 11:32 am

I honestly do think that the subject of "immigration" would be a toxic one for any of the political parties, and that is why Miliband is trying very hard to avoid it.

It WILL be an important subject during the hustings for the election in May, but I do think that we would do well to avoid it until then.

Miliband is right !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:17 pm

None of them will be able to avoid the subject forever !
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

No, my dear, as they all know that that ugly subject will be a vote-loser at the next general election.

Europe and immigration has always split the Tories right down the middle and now that UKIP has it's oar in the water too this is going to be an even MORE dangerous subject for the Tories.

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 6:52 am

I suppose it was only a coincidence that liebore imported millions of people who would then go onto vote for them as long as they promised plenty of benefits for them, and hush hush about the black market crime. We can't talk about immigration? I hope they come to my door as I will test that theory out!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 11:12 am

And, I thought that you were a Scot too ! Evil or Very Mad

Scotland has always welcomed immigration to this country as they have contributed a lot more to our common-good than they have done harm.

Because of our low head of population it is great to see skilled and not so skilled Europeans, and other foreigners, coming here to work.

The old adage of "they are just coming here to steal our jobs and get benefits" is just nonsense as ninety percent of them come here to get a better life through working hard. Many of them will do jobs that the indigenous folks would not touch, and that too is a good thing.

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 8:15 pm

papa_umau wrote:And, I thought that you were a Scot too ! Evil or Very Mad

Scotland has always welcomed immigration to this country as they have contributed a lot more to our common-good than they have done harm.

Because of our low head of population it is great to see skilled and not so skilled Europeans, and other foreigners, coming here to work.

The old adage of "they are just coming here to steal our jobs and get benefits" is just nonsense as ninety percent of them come here to get a better life through working hard. Many of them will do jobs that the indigenous folks would not touch, and that too is a good thing.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on immigration paps - you know my views!

I'm not against people coming to work, I know certain flocks of people have come here like Irish (my Mother's side included), Italians, Pakistanis, Chinese and others, but this was in small numbers and they were mainly hardworking, put their head down and just got on with life (I suppose this is what many like to term as successful integration). however now there are just far too many for a small island to cope with, and that's not made up it's been proven by many studies of the impact of immigration and it's net benefit being actually almost zero.

Everyone and their dog knows the governments in the last 30 years have just sat back and let almost anyone come in. We shouldn't have open porous borders, it should be a privilege to come here and if you are vetted and make it through the process then everyone will know you are dedicated and more likely to be a net contributor than a layabout.

My God paps I would actually support immigration if they set it up like the way such as Oz do but they don't and this is what is peeving people off. I welcome people coming here, and enjoying the...the...well not the weather Smile, but they shouldn't be able to just walk in and then ask us to change our customs to suit theirs?

Ok it's a rant but it's me so it's true again!

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

I think the fact is that humanity has not changed since those early days of immigration and almost all of the people who get into Britain - and including Scotland - come here to get work, to work hard, and to send money back home. They are not here to laze about or to subsist on benefits, as many right-wingers would suggest, especially not in Scotland.

I will admit that the numbers down in some of the towns like Bradford -for instance - certainly do give cause for concern.

You are also right that no government of whatever hue of the past has EVER kept an accurate set of numbers for immigrants, and now they have no clue about how many are in the country.

Once again I say that Scotland is quite different here as we DO know how many people are living here and we do have a good idea how many of them are immigrants.

That said, it is true that Scotland needs a steady flow of immigrants if the net loss to emigration and deaths is to be kept on balance with our low birth-rate. This is not the case in England.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm