Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Mountain-sized asteroid is heading for earth.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Mountain-sized asteroid is heading for earth.....

Post by papa_umau on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:17 am

.....According to a Russian astronomer.

Mountain-sized asteroid is heading towards Earth, says scientist

A Russian scientist has discovered a huge asteroid '2014 UR116' passes Earth every three years.

Vladimir Lipunov, a professor at Moscow State University, said the space rock, named '2014 UR116', poses no immediate threat.

But, he warned, that it could hit the Earth with an explosion 1,000 times greater than the surprise 2013 impact of a bus-sized meteor in Russia. That object entered Earths atmosphere over the city of Chelyabinsk, resulting in a series of ferocious blasts that blew out windows and damaged buildings for miles around.

Prof Lipunov said it is difficult to calculate the orbit of big rocks like '2014 UR116' because their trajectories are constantly being changed by the gravitational pull of other planets.

Get the full story from The Telegraph HERE

Read Zathrus's thread-start on the subject HERE

As I see it this is just another reason why we should build a world-wide asteroid-watch ASAP.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Mountain-sized asteroid is heading for earth.....

Post by zathrus on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 12:00 pm

I wonder why this twit has picked on that particular asteroid, as the rest of the astronomer scientists will know about that one too.

It would still be good if we used our pooled experience in space-science to be able to deal with such things.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

Very true Zathrus.

I have often thought that computers, especially the most powerful and modern ones, are great at working out all of those slight changes to the orbits of dangerous asteroids.

The great problem, I think, is the fact that unlike comets, ( which show themselves because of their tails ), asteroids give out no light of their own and they appear completely invisible against the darkness of space. The only time they can be seen by light-operated telescopes is when they cross the face of other close-in planets and by that time it can be too late to do anything about them.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 12:31 pm

Are you and that Russian bloke trying to frighten the s-tuffing out of us with this apocalypse talk ?

I do think that we should be made aware of the truth but I don't think they should try to frighten us with conjecture.

When this turns from sci-fi apocalyptical-movie stuff to real science I will start to give it credence.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 12:48 pm

Sorry if you or anybody else were alarmed by that posting, but it is a fact that because of the millions of tons of rock that are in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and the classes of small Solar System bodies in other regions include the Centaurs, Kuiper belt, scattered disk objects, and Oort cloud , all contribute to most of the asteroids that eventually break away from their orbits and are driven onto orbits that come close to Earth.

Because these objects are driven regularly by bumping into each-other, they are often sent into orbits that pass the earth.

Each new asteroid that comes into these orbits, that were never there before, have to be spotted as quickly as they can be so that our astronomers can work out what their orbits might be and how big they are, before they may become dangerous to us.

This is why this new asteroid-watch should be widened to all of the technical countries in the world so that we know for sure if any of these wandering bodies might need to be addressed.

Read more about this from Wikipedia HERE

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:53 pm