Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Asteroids could wipe out humanity.

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Asteroids could wipe out humanity.

Post by zathrus on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:23 pm

I found it interesting that some of the greatest scientists and physics minds in the world are now calling for a better asteroid-detection system after they all got their heads together and made this statement.

"Asteroids could wipe out humanity", warn Richard Dawkins and Brian Cox.

More than 100 scientists and astronauts have come together to call for a huge asteroid detection system.

At an event at London’s science museum on Wednesday night, Lord Rees read out a declaration resolving to “solve humanity’s greatest challenges to safeguard our families and quality of life on Earth in the future.”

I know that this sounds a bit like science fiction, but I think that when it is such eminent experts that are calling for this, the world and all the advanced countries, in the world, should pay attention and do something about this threat.

I found this story in The Telegraph here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11272393/Asteroids-could-wipe-out-humanity-warn-Richard-Dawkins-and-Brian-Cox.html
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Asteroids could wipe out humanity.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:18 pm

Great subject Zathrus.

As a total science-fiction geek I have been watching the programmes that professor Brian Cox has been putting on the telly for some time.

It is quite shocking that this hundred scientists have got their heads together to warn us about a possible end-of-life occurrence some time in the future when a large asteroid hits the earth.

This is a possibility that has triggered a number of Sci-Fi movies of the genre, but when a large number of real scientists warn us about the possibility we really should sit up and pay attention.

I found it a bit un-nerving that the news programmes never even mentioned this yesterday, as we really should all know about the risk and pressurise the governments and  their scientists to build a proper anti-asteroid defence system.

If we don't and one of these rocks get through the poor warning system we already have, then it will be too late to stop what happened to the dinosaurs, happening to the human race.

Cox and his compatriots want June 30th to be "Asteroid day" ( the day that the Tunguska asteroid strike flattened 800 square miles of Sibera in 1908 ).

Click on the blue link, above, and learn more.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 12:17 pm

That's interesting Papa.

I too have always liked the way that Brian Cox lectures to us all on the TV as he is a great communicator and he makes even the most complex of science easy to understand.

If he and the genius that is Richard Dawkins ask us to pay attention to this threat, I guess that we really should.

I too am surprised that the television programmers did not catch on to this appeal. Maybe they are just too scared that we might panic if we believe what these eminent scientists and astronomers are saying.

I guess this is just another manifestation of the "mushroom" effect, where they believe that we should be "kept in the dark and fed a load of shit" Suspect

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

They have maybe been warned not to publish this threat just in-case the people get worried about it.

Mind you, when this news comes from such eminent experts, we really should be paying attention to it.

I will keep an eye out for any updates to this news.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

I still feel that we need a lot more accurate and incontrovertible science if we are going to believe this.

Maybe the world-wide science-community could come up with this factual news if they do get their heads together and learn more about these big asteroids, if they do exist, and how to destroy or deflect them.

I don't think that this is a subject that we can sweep under the carpet or bury our heads in the sand about.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

Yes.

Let's not panic about it, but we should still know what is out there and where it is going to go.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:07 am