Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Social media and terrorists......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Social media and terrorists......

Post by papa_umau on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:01 am

IT appears that social media companies like Facebook etc' do not do enough to catch and remove people discussing terrorist acts.

It seems that they just let these people get on with their disgusting plans online without any interference.

AND.... If they will do nothing about this why are the police or MI6 not doing something ?

Here is the latest story along these lines:

Lee Rigby's sister: 'Facebook have my hero brother's blood on their hands'

Lee Rigby's family speak of their pain at his loss and their disappointment with the report into his brutal killing.

The Commons intelligence and security committee does not name the website for “national security” reasons but it is widely reported to be Facebook.

But last night Lee’s sister Sara, 25, said: “Facebook have my brother’s blood on their hands. I hold them partly responsible for Lee’s murder.”

And Lee’s stepdad Ian Rigby said: ­“Facebook failed us all when they failed to alert our authorities. They should hang their heads in shame.”

Get the full story fromThe Daily Mirror HERE

Well folks, are the parents and family of that murdered soldier right ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Social media and terrorists......

Post by zathrus on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:26 am

The main social media sites were asked that question and Facebook said it would be "too expensive to do that job properly".

I thought that was the job that the moderators were supposed to do ???

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:49 am

I think that the main problem here is that the likes of Facebook has just got too big to supervise to any worthwhile extent.

What needs to happen now is that the authorities need to put surveillance -bots on all of the input and output to these social media sites if they will not police themselves.

That is what computers are good at if there are not enough live moderators to do the job.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 12:30 pm

I am sure that the authorities would just LOVE to do that Zathrus, but if we give them that kind of freedom "Big Brother" would truly be here.

Surely in this day and age they could catch these terrorists without contravening all of our online freedoms ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

Good point Angie, but I think it is just about balance, where the ordinary people are not bothered by such intrusions while the terrorists and other lawbreakers are.

It is as easy as setting up the surveillance computers to watch for trigger words like "Jehad" "suicide" "bomb" "infidels" and other key-words that people like this would use, and then to concentrate on THEM rather than the law-abiding people who use social media sites.

As I said before, THAT is what computers are good at so they should be used in this way.

( Out of interest..... There are "bots" that are doing that right now as we go around the pages of forums like this one, but these "bots" are used for steering targetting companies on what we are discussing so that they might sell us more stuff. It is just a well known and well used form of marketing ).

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:39 am