Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are Facebook and Twitter hiding terrorists ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are Facebook and Twitter hiding terrorists ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:30 am

Britain's spy chief says US tech firms aid terrorism

New GCHQ director Robert Hannigan accuses some Silicon Valley companies of becoming 'the command and control networks of choice' for terrorists.

Technology giants such as Facebook and Twitter have become "the command and control networks of choice" for terrorists and criminals but are "in denial" about the scale of the problem, the new head of GCHQ has said.

Robert Hannigan said that Isil terrorists in Syria and Iraq have "embraced the web" and are using it to intimidate people and inspire "would-be jihadis" from all over the world to join them.

Read more on this disturbing news from The Telegraph HERE

While this might be a shocking bit of news, I am not one bit surprised that this is now happening to a greater or lesser degree.

It appears that the companies behind all of these sites do nor care that their platforms are being used in this way. Maybe it is time that this easy communication was tightened up ?

What say you ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are Facebook and Twitter hiding terrorists ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

There is no doubt that the internet and especially the social media sites are wide open for mis-use.

While I do not agree with internet censorship I do think that the creators of these social media sites should be much more careful about what they carry on their wide-open boards.

Then again, if these terrorist postings are open for everybody to see then they are also open for the anti-terrorist cops to watch very closely.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

Might I suggest that most of this really nasty stuff will be on the dark-web rather than on the open web, as I believe that that version of the internet is much harder to investigate and/or control.

Maybe the obvious stuff, on the open-web, is just there to tie up the authorities so that they don't go looking where the really dangerous stuff is ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm

I honestly don't think that the hosts of the social networking sites ever read what is input to their pages and if they don't then these pages just roll on without moderation.

It is then up to the security services to catch terrorists and the like so that they can be stopped that way.

As I have no clue about the so-called "Dark-web" I cannot comment on that.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

I HAVE looked into it Angie, and I can honestly say that it is crammed full of neerdowells, crooks, and nut-cases.

Mind you I do think that the security services are looking into this hiding place for crimes of all kinds.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:37 pm