Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

What about Abellio then ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

What about Abellio then ?

Post by papa_umau on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

What's Abellio, I hear you ask ?

It is the Dutch company that has won the franchise to take over the rail services from First Scotrail.

They are already looking at a steam re-birth here in Scotland before they take over this ten-year contract next April.

Being a steam-engine nut that is great news to me, but it is not so great that the profits that will be made by this Dutch-government-owned company will go out of the country just to be ploughed into the state owned railway services in Holland.

Before this happened there was talk that all of the Train services in Scotland would be brought back into the public domain, but it seems that this is not now to be the case.

I just hope that Abellio give us a dependable, high-quality and cheap rail service and that we now don't see this Dutch state-owned company acting like a greedy private company here in Scotland.

For information: Nederlandse Spoorwegen is the parent and STATE-OWNED company that controls all of the Abellio, and other Dutch transport companies, across the world.

We shall see how it develops in Scotland !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: What about Abellio then ?

Post by Angie baby on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:13 pm

That's a shocker Papa.

It looks like your favourite government have let you down badly here.

I know that that Dutch company already own a few of the fragmented rail-services down here in England.

Might I suggest that it was just going to be too expensive for your Scottish SNP government to take all of the First Scotrail services back into the public domain.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:19 am

Yes Angie, I guess that is the best reason for not bringing the Scottish rail services fully back into the public domain.

They - the Scottish SNP government - just don't have the spare cash to do that.

Maybe once "Devo-Max" is fully transferred to Scotland they WILL do this. The thing is that they are now going to have to wait until that Abellio franchise runs out.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

I say, give them a chance to see what they can do and leave the full re-nationalisation of all of the rail-networks to the central British government, as they would have more money to do that than the Scottish government would have.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

That is probably how it will eventually go if we get a brave enough, and left-wing enough, Labour government next time.

We shall see I suppose.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

What gets me is the fact that Abellio ARE a state-owned company when it seems the governments in this country just do not believe that publicly owned services like this can be successfully run by us.

It's a sort of dead end that British governments simply cannot get out of.

I expect the Tories to be like this but I do not expect Labour or any other decent government to stick with this habit as far as re-nationalisation is concerned.

I think this idea stems from the years when the nationalised industries and services were badly managed and starved for cash in their bad old days.

All we need to do to see that this does not need to be the case is to look at Europe, including The Nederlands, to see that state-owned and run essential services can be successful and good for everybody except the greedy and incompetent private companies that we are stuck with at the moment.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:25 pm

It's all about cost, as to take back all of the rail franchises that have been SOLD to the TOCs, along with compensation for lost future profits, would simply be just too prohibitive to do.

Maybe, if it is done a bit at a time over a few years it might be affordable, but we cannot guarantee that any Labour government that might want to do this will still be in power over all of those years.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:17 pm