Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

American atheists being stigmatised.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

American atheists being stigmatised.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:32 am

The stigma of being an atheist in the US

Atheists in the US are rallying together, and providing support for those who go public with their beliefs.

"Sometimes things need to be said, and fights need to be fought even if they are unpopular. To the closeted atheists, you are not alone, and you deserve equality."

So goes the rousing speech from the American Atheists president, David Silverman, in the opening moments of the first US television broadcaster dedicated to those who do not believe in God, Atheist TV.

A series of testimonies from prominent atheists then follows.

"It's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life and I completely advocate people 'coming out'," says Mark Hatcher, from Black Atheists of America.

Read more HERE on this BBC report on how difficult it is to "come out" as an atheist in the USA.

At least the Americans are doing something about this breach of human rights in the USA, and maybe we in Britain should learn from this and try to encourage all British atheists to come out in public too ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: American atheists being stigmatised.

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

As such subjects are treated more sensitively in Britain I am sure that there are very few atheists still in the closet here.

We are not America, and I am glad of that in many ways.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:45 pm

Yes,this is "not America", and I am regularly thankful for that, but the religious institutions have far too much power in this country and I feel that the non-religous - or secular - people in Britain should have a much larger say in what goes on here than they have at the moment.

All of the religions in Britain are slowly but surely losing support from the ordinary people here and when this becomes solidified we are going to see secular reasoning eventually taking the place of religious reasoning in the future.

Sadly the only ones that will be left in these defunct religions will be the hard-liners and activists, and they are the ones that can turn into dangerous extremists.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm