Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Armed police on Britain's streets.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Armed police on Britain's streets.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 02 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

It seems that it is more and more becoming routine to see armed police on Britain's streets even if they have not been called out as part of an ( ARV ), or armed response vehicle request.

I don't know if this is a good idea as historically our police have never needed to be routinely armed, as they have in many other countries.

I think that if we can get comfortable with seeing the common or garden bobby-on-the-beat swanning around with a Glock at his or her hip we are going to allow the police to have power that they should not need.

I have to ask; do we think that times have changed that much that this should be a regularly  witnessed spectacle in Britain ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Armed police on Britain's streets.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

A damned good question Angie.

I don't know what the reason is for chief constables to want armed cops on the beat as nothing has changed over the years on the streets of Britain.

Even if they think that the terror threat is greater than it used to be, I feel that there is still not enough reason to have cops routinely armed on our streets.

There are already high numbers of ARVs out there just waiting to be called on if a "gun" situation arises anywhere, so I see no reason for more guns to be put in the hands of ordinary cops.

Of course the reason could be that what the chief constables want is more cops on the beat instead of sitting with a gun at their side waiting in an ARV somewhere, doing nothing ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 11:06 am

You might be right there Paps.

Mind you all they would need to do would be to take off and secure their gun-belts in the police station where they are based so they could then get out onto the streets without being tooled up.

Of course this would bring up another problem: That of not having armed cops ready and waiting to be deployed in a hurry.

I say that these trained firearms cops should either be ready to be deployed in an instant or they should be out on the streets being ordinary cops. They cannot be both.

Don't you agree ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:36 pm

Yes, the Chief Constables and the Home Office minister cannot have their cake and eat it too here.

Either there are manned and armed ARV's always ready for instant deployment or there are more cops - taken from these ARV's - on the beat without guns at their hips.

They simply cannot have both as the only way that they will be able to have both is to have certain cops wearing guns all of the time.

The people of Britain do not want this country to turn into a poor copy of America or Spain, et-al, where the cops  ARE always armed.

Opinions please.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

Thanks for the responses to my thread-starter guys.

I think that you are right that it is the fact of keeping a bunch of cops tooled up in the back of a van doing nothing except waiting to be called to a firearms problem that is the hiatus here.

Whatever happens with this there is still no good reason to have armed cops walking the streets on regular patrols as I think that we do not need or want this.

It is time that the Chief Constables started to listen to the needs of the general public instead of doing stuff that we just don't want.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 12:58 pm

It's a subject that many citizens are talking about right now.

Thanks for bringing it up Angie.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm