Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Atheism gets it's own TV channel.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12198
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Atheism gets it's own TV channel.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 11:15 am

Atheism gets its own TV channel in the US a shot in the dark, or a sign of changing times ?

From America:

It is a fact of American life that even though far fewer than half the adult population attend church on a weekly basis, atheism remains an outright taboo in many corners of the country.

As discovered on a reporting trip to Virginia earlier, non-belief is something that many Americans are too afraid to even admit to their parents, friend and teachers. Many fear alienation from the communities they grew up in, or even active discrimination from employers and teachers for their non-belief.

But in what is a sign of changing times, perhaps, next week sees the launch of America's first dedicated TV channel for non-believers.

Atheist TV launches in New York and will broadcast 24 hours a day via Roku, the internet streaming service that allows people to watch internet-based channels on their TVs. Roku only has seven million subscribers, but anyone can watch it streamed online at http://www.atheists.tv

Read more on this from a blog in The Telegraph HERE

Of course it is true that in certain states of America bible-bashing seems to be the norm and often Christianity can get as radical and hard-line as many Muslim religion extremes can get in the Middle East.

It is refreshing to find that the true atheists and the humanists and the secularists are also getting organised too.

Of course we do not want these people to be radicalised or to become extremists in their views as even the atheists out there, like myself, need to protect all people from extremism and to allow for freedom of choice as far as faith is concerned.

Like in all things, a happy medium, ( no pun intended ), has to be the right way to go here.

Anybody disagree ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Atheism gets it's own TV channel.

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

Yeah Paps, you are right that in America it is always either "all in" or "all out" when it comes to religion.

Unlike yourself mate, I am not an atheist, but I do agree that religion should have no part in government or education.

I think I will give that Atheist site a visit out of curiosity.

Update:

Been there, and done that and while it looks interesting it is not fully up and running yet.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm

Yeah Zath' I too will keep a close eye on this site as it is good, from my point of view, to hear from like-minded people.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm

I wonder if SKY or any of the other TV platforms in Britain would allow an Atheist channel to be formed up ?

I don't think so as I am sure that they know that what with the many competing Christian factions, and Judaistic factions and Islamic factions causing trouble we do not need any more religious or even non-religious groups muddying the waters further.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

Sorry Angie, for once I have to disagree with you there.

Allowing the Atheist, humanist and secularist groups the same amount of air-time as the religions are allowed would not "muddy the waters", in fact, the people who are dedicated to these three maxims for living would bring some clear-water to the mess that the religions have us in at the moment.

Here are three sites that will allow people who have doubts about the value of religion in this modern world get a chance to see the views of those that are not, in our view, ham-strung by religion.

The British Humanist Association

And....

The National Secular Society

And....

The Atheist Alliance International

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:56 am