Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

What is "Cloud" computing ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12196
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

What is "Cloud" computing ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

This latest "buzz-word" from computing is being seen and heard more and more each day and I was wondering what exactly it is and should it be avoided ?

Here is one explanation from PC Magazine that tells us something about this new phenomenon.

The first time that I noticed that it was effecting me directly was after I had bought a new internet net-book made by Acer.

After going through the apps that were pre-installed on this computer I found that a number of these apps sent and received data from my net-book to the Acer "Cloud" AUTOMATICALLY.

I am not too sure how good the security of these "Cloud" servers are and because of this I am now very careful about what I write and do on the internet.

Has anybody else come across the now ubiquitous "Cloud" and what do you think of this new phenomenon ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: What is "Cloud" computing ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

I am sure that these public "servers" will be encrypted, but I am also sure that the people who offer this service will have access to all that data if and when they want to.

In fact I would not be one bit surprised if that data is used for marketing purposes.

I suspect that "cloud computing" is something that is eventually going to blow up in our faces.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12196
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm

Yes, as I said, "if this is done automatically and without the permission of the computer-owner", it could be seen as a breach of our civil rights.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:46 am