Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Christian church takes a new look at assisted dying.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Christian church takes a new look at assisted dying.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:25 pm

While I have been a supporter of voluntary euthanasia and assisted dying for many years I have always been dismayed by the stance that our governments and our religious hierarchy takes over this subject.

I have always felt that it should be the right of the individual when, where, and HOW they should choose to end their days, but the religious lobby have always put a close-down on any individuals or even enlightened politicians who want this subject fully aired, and without religious bias.

Now there has been a strong change in this since Lord George Carey, The Bishop of Carlisle, has called for an open enquiry into the difficult subject.

The Church of England has said a bill to legalise assisted dying should be withdrawn and a royal commission set up to investigate the matter following an intervention by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, in which he said he has dropped his longstanding opposition as a way to prevent "needless suffering".

Read more on this sea-change of ideas HERE

Even Archbishop Desmond Tutu has called for a change in the law here.
    The Archbishop calls for 'mind shift' on right to die and condemns as 'disgraceful' the treatment of the dying Nelson Mandela.

So, it looks at last that many of the hard-line detractors from assisted dying are changing their minds.

Maybe at last we will be able to organise this idea WITHOUT the interference by any church.

Anybody ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Christian church takes a new look at assisted dying.

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

What I want to know is; why has it taken so long for these top religious people to realise that we treat humans much worse than we treat animals in this respect ?

The walls are slowly beginning to break down and eventually we are going to see just how totally wrong it is to force people to suffer terribly in their last days.

Quite simply; it's inhuman.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm

Yes Zath', it IS "inhuman", but sadly I still think that the great mass of the religious people who put up resistance to this civilised step forward will still stand in the churches and in the Commons.

There will need to be a complete sea-change of opinion and perceived need for this idea to become law.

Religion always seem to hold sway when we are talking about humanity and that is why there is an ever-growing campaign for Humanist and Secularist values when this subject arises.

Eventually the persuasive influences of the curches will wane along with their dwindling congregations.

This may take a very long time to happen !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

The people who resist this idea think that we should care for people who are dying rather than ending their suffering.

If the palliative care was as good as they say it is then that would not be so bad, but it is NOT.

Pain control, for example is a hit and miss science and often to be able to give people the pain-relief that they need, the morphine has to be administered in very high doses. Doing this often results in the death of the patient anyway.

I still cannot see this easily passing into legislation.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm

So long as the religions have the influential power that they do have at the moment we are not going to see a free and conscience vote on this.

I am sure that most of the population do not want to watch their loved ones clinging on to life in agony when their suffering could be easily wiped out by some medical expert that would be willing to do the act.

The great worry to many about assisted dying is that some might try to influence the dying to give up and be allowed to die early so that inheritances might be taken more quickly.

I understand this worry, but I see no reason why safeguards should not be put in place to stop this from happening.

This is just an empty argument and the deniers know it.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:33 am