Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Is Britain becoming more racist ?

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Is Britain becoming more racist ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

From the BBC's writer, Mark Easton:

Journalists like their stories to fit into an accepted current narrative. With domestic politics dominated by concerns over Europe and immigration, and the rise of the far-right elsewhere in the EU, it is understandable that editors are alert to evidence of rising racism in Britain.

But today's figures are not evidence of rising racism. In fact, if anything, the trend is of flat or declining levels of self-reported racial prejudice.

The statistics come from the annual British Social Attitudes survey which, since 1983, has interviewed one or two thousand people and asked if they are "very prejudiced", "a little bit prejudiced" or "not prejudiced at all" against people of other races.

Adding together the "very" (3%) and "a little" (27%) figures from this year's survey produces a total of 30% - up from last year (26%) but well below the year before (38%).

Yes, the current figure is higher than the lowest figures ever recorded (25% in 2000 and 2001) but then you could equally argue it is well below the high point of 38% recorded in 1987 and 2011.

Read the rest of the story from the BBC, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27608252

What with the rise of UKIP and the obvious worries that British people have about Britain being over-run by immigrants from the EU and the rest of the world, maybe be are becoming more racist because of this.

I try not to be, but it is hard. How about you ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Is Britain becoming more racist ?

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

That's an interesting question Zathrus.

I do not believe that we are any more racist, as racists will always be racists no matter the political climate in Britain.

Having said that I do think that many people are now acting like racists,. when they are in fact not racists. just because they are afraid of the numbers of races that are now flooding into the country.

The massive growth of the UKIP party highlights this syndrome when we see people joining this right-wing party out of fear rather than any overt racial feelings.

Something definitely needs to be done about these fears but I do not think that UKIP are the party to do it.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 Jun 2014, 1:04 pm

As I see it many people have no clue as to what a racist actually is until you tell them they are one, at which point you will have an argument on your hands.

Nobody likes to be called a "racist" as that is a bad thing to be, but if they have this definition explained to them they often realise that they are being racist in their thinking and in their actions.

When certain people start to get worried about "foreigners" coming here I always like to remind them that there is a very good chance that their own family originated from some other country than Britain.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:36 am

Many good points there Angie.

Many people sound as if they are racist when they talk about the numbers of immigrants coming to Britain, but in fact these people are not racist at all, they are just afraid.

Some might say that they have good reason to be "afraid".

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

I think that "fear" is being stoked by the UKIP, the BNP and what's left of The National Front, as we have no reason to be afraid of people coming from other countries as long as these numbers are kept reasonable.

My own family are Italian, from way back, and I bet that anybody who looks at the history of their family will find the same.

If it wasn't for the Romans, the Normans, the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons we would still be inbred Picts living in mud huts.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

Yes, isn't it amazing that even although the stirring is coming from the hard-right-wing in all of the political forces here in Britain, they are all actually anathema to each-other.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm