Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Label meat by slaughter method.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Label meat by slaughter method.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 13 May 2014, 11:10 am

Move to label meat by slaughter method

EU considering change backed by religious leaders but not by David Cameron to bring clarity to industry.

The EU move will force the Department of Environment and Rural Affairs (Defra) to clarify its own position after Muslim, Jewish and Christian leaders called for a system of labelling that spells out if food is halal, kosher or whatever other method of slaughter is used.

Read more on this idea from The Guardian HERE

On this rare occasion I actually agree with David Cameron ! Twisted Evil

I have to ask: Do we REALLY want our meat labelled by religion-based methods of slaughter for sale in normal supermarkets and generic British shops.

I say that if the religious people want their meat to be slaughtered in ways that suits their religious beliefs, then let them stick to the shops that advertise that they produce halal and Kosher meat, as the rest of us do not want to know how a cow or a sheep or a pig etc' is killed.

So long as these abattoirs and retailers conform to the regulations that are in force for the dispatching of animals, I suggest that this should be all that we need to know.

Any views on this ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Label meat by slaughter method.

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 May 2014, 11:46 am

It seems simple to me.

Make all of the religious abattoirs conform to the law by slaughtering their animals by the most humane way that is possible.

I know that they like to kill animals by cutting their throats and letting them bleed to death in the halal form of slaughter, but so long as they are stunned first by electric tongs - as all the rest of the abattoirs have to do - they can happily cut the beasts' throats as often as they want.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 May 2014, 12:53 pm

As long as my beef is not actually horse-meat and it has been slaughtered humanely I will be happy.

Mind you, as a vegetarian I won't be eating it anyway. It is my partner that is the carnivore in this house.
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 29 May 2014, 11:39 am

In Britain we should all follow the law as it is already written and there should be no special circumstances made for foreign religions.

The old saying of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" seems to fit very well here.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 30 May 2014, 12:17 pm

Being an atheist, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on that subject.

Our governments of the past have always bent over backwards in order to fulfill the needs of the religious minorities here and while I do feel that we should uphold the rights of minorities, this should not be done to the detriment of the indigenous people of Britain.

The law is the law and I feel it should be up to them to fit in with our laws instead of trying to pressurise our weak governments into changing the laws to suit their religious beliefs.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 12:55 pm