Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Exposing babies to bacteria is a good thing.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Exposing babies to bacteria is a good thing.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 12 May 2014, 12:27 pm

Mothers told, stick to soap and water with newborns

Parents of newborns should use soap and water, not antibacterial gels and wipes, midwives have said, following research showing early exposure to bacteria can protect against asthma.

A number of studies have suggested that children have a greater change of developing allergies, asthma and other autoimmune diseases during adulthood if they are protected too much from germs while growing up.

New research published in the journal Nature Medicine suggests that the first two weeks of life could form a crucial “developmental window” in which exposure to bacteria is required.

Read more on this subject from The online Telegraph HERE

Well folks, how do you feel about this idea ?

As far as I am concerned, I agree with this premise as during my tender years I was not artificially protected from all of the bacteria that I came across during these tender years, and I am sure that many of my peers were treated the same.

What do you agree, or not ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Exposing babies to bacteria is a good thing.

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 May 2014, 11:59 am

This is an interesting one.

I can see the reasoning behind this as we have to teach our immune system to recognise germs by exposing us to them early on and if we have no immune response to these germs in later life we finish up getting sicker than we should.

I also agree that we do use antibiotics too often as this is always in the news.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 May 2014, 1:13 pm

I know for a fact that babies' immune systems are shaped in the first couple of years of growth and if we do not expose our kids to these early germs their immune system finishes up being badly formed.

I can see where it might be right to expose babies to bacteria being a good thing.

The worry for me, if I ever have babies of my own some day, would be if they ever get a dangerous one because I have not kept them clean.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 18 May 2014, 11:52 am

Yes it will be difficult for mums to differentiate between keeping the baby "clean" and destroying all bacteria-contact that the baby experiences when doing that job.

I blame the marketeers for this situation as they assault mums with many different and targetted "cleaning" products for babies and young children so that these mums are under pressure to always buy the best for their kids.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 01 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

My two children were never 'overprotected' from bacteria and hence have very robust immune systems. Camping was our preferred method of holidaying, in all weathers, I hasten to add! Smile 
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

OH.... me too HG.  Very Happy 

When I was young and my, ( skint ), mother was on her own with my sister living in England with my English grannie, we used to go on camping and caravan holidays. Even after I grew up I used to still like camping.

I do not think that the youngsters today get enough exposure to camping as it was a great way to have a cheap holiday.

The exposure to various bacteria, helping to build up a strong immune system was just another great spin-off from this practice.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:36 pm