Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Tory, Patrick Mercer resigns his seat.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Tory, Patrick Mercer resigns his seat.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 May 2014, 11:56 am

A former Tory MP has resigned after he was suspended from the Commons for six months for allegedly asking questions in Parliament in return for money.

Patrick Mercer said he was "ashamed" and had decided to "confess" by standing down straightaway.

This will trigger a by-election in his Newark constituency in Nottinghamshire, which he has represented since 2001.

The UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said he will decide in the next 24 hours whether to stand in the by-election.

From The Guardian:

Tory MP Patrick Mercer made one of worst ever breaches of rules, when he used his position for paid advocacy, watchdog finds.

Read more HERE

It looks as if nobody has learned any lessons from previous "cash for questions" offences.

I would actually just LOVE to see farage take this previously strong Tory seat as if he did that would give UKIP at least one UK member of parliament.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Tory, Patrick Mercer resigns his seat.

Post by zathrus on Thu 08 May 2014, 10:56 am

I think that Farage would be a shoe-in for that seat if he decides to run for it.

Mind you if he does contest that seat and fails, that would do a lot of damage to his credibility.

One to watch for I think.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 09 May 2014, 11:56 am

Yes, you might be right there Zath'.

Mind you, I don't think Farage would risk it if there was any chance that he might be defeated by the Tory voters in that area.

I would still like to see him try, and even be successful, as if he did win the seat at the expense of the dyed-in-the-wool Tory supporters in the Newark constituency.

The battle between the UKIP mob and the Tory mob is good entertainment for all lefties like me. Twisted Evil

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm