Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Kirk fast losing members.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Kirk fast losing members.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

In an admittance by the Church of Scotland yesterday it was stated that over the past three years they have lost 47,000 members.

The Kirk's own figures show that they had 445,646 members in 2010 but this had fallen to 398,389 by December last year.

The Kirk are also facing a chronic shortage of ministers with Moderator Lorna Hood using her Easter message to launch an urgent appeal for more trainees.

Garry Otten of the Scottish Secular Society claimed that the Kirk were struggling to stay "relevant and alive".

As a secularist myself, I have watched closely how all of the indigenous religions of Britain have been shrinking at an alarming pace and can only surmise by this that these religions are fast losing sway over how the people of Britain should think.

I have always thought that the religions should never be able to claim the direction that ordinary people take as far as ethics and morals are concerned as these values are NOT in the sole reserve of the religions or in the religious priests and ministers that claim to be the great example of how these values should be applied.

What say you ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Kirk fast losing members.

Post by zathrus on Thu 01 May 2014, 11:25 am

You don't miss a trick as far as subjects like this are concerned, do you Paps ? Evil or Very Mad

Very soon the only people that will be going to church or Synagogue or Temple will be the hard-liners that are left.

The thing is, that these are the ones that are dangerous and the ones we have to keep a very close eye on.

Don't you agree ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 May 2014, 11:06 am

I certainly do Zath'.

The Protestant Christian religions are simply too weak to hold on to their congregations and every day that they get further out of touch with their core supporters these followers just drain away.

The Roman Catholic branch of Christianity is rather different as it has a more powerful hierarchy and a stronger grip on their third world and their evangelistic churches. Again, here also, there is a hard core of supporters that, some would say are, "dyed-in-the-wool" Catholics.

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 01 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

Not all of Britain's indigenous faiths are dwindling, Papa, Paganism is alive, well and flourishing, and turns out to be the seventh largest in the country.

However, when it is spread out into component parts this falls apart, when you consider Wiccans, Druids, Norse traditionalists, Chaos magicians and Jedi as separate entities.

The same would happen if you split up the Christians into separate sections, such as Presbyterians, COE, Methodists, congregationalists, etc.

I could bleat on about this for ages, but you'd all get bored!Laughing
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:40 pm

" Get bored!".... Not at all. it is good to find out about all of these minority religions in Britain.

I think that as Christianity fragments as it is doing over homosexuality, gay marriage and gay priests, and women bishops, not to mention the child sexual abuse among RC priests, we are finding that many of the really minority religions that you mentioned above are now quoting just about the same numbers of membership as these fragmented Christian offshoots are doing.

I honestly thing that in a couple of hundred years the only people that will still be practicing religion will be the hard-core members and the fundamentalist ones.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:45 am