Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Back to the days of the smog ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to the days of the smog ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

Air pollution in China and other Asian countries is having far-reaching impacts on weather patterns across the Northern Hemisphere, a study suggests.

The study is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

A winter day in Beijing.

I am sure that many of you will remember the bad old days of widespread smog where almost all of our cities, especially London, were covered in toxic clouds that shortened our lifespans.

This threat was virtually removed by the introduction of the Clear Air Act, but now we are drifting back to those dirty days again.

With the continued burning of fossil fuels for energy and all of the diesel cars, buses, lorries and trains that are now in widespread use in Britain we are seeing these days coming back HERE again.

Just a few days ago the levels of pollution in the air down South was about as bad as it was during those dirty old days.

OK, I know that some of this smog was added to by a wind from The South that was carrying sand-storms from Africa, but even without that added dust the levels of unpolluted air in Britain are now growing to be just as bad as we are seeing in the far East.

Time for a serious look at how we produce our electricity and how we fuel our road, rail, and air vehicles, before it is too late.

Don't you agree ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Back to the days of the smog ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

Yeah, it is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Britain and the rest of the world will not move away from fossil fuels until they are forced to by either them becoming scarce or just too expensive to use any more.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

When countries like the "Tiger" economies grow so fast that they cannot control the pollution they generate, the environment always suffers.

Maybe they need to slow down a bit and tackle the pollution rate before they start to kill of their people with smog.

I do not actually think that the Western world will allow that to happen here as I think we are a bit more environmentally conscious than they are.

We are just going to have to wait and see if that happens here.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

I am actually too young to remember those bad old days but I would hope that they would never be allowed to return to Britain.

It certainly looks as if the far East economies do not care a jot for the health of their people as they poison the air in their mad dash to produce and to export. Suspect
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:14 am

I do agree that the far Eastern economies are just too voracious to be bothered about what damage they are doing to their environment and the environments of the world.

While all of this smog going up into the air and being sent around the world by the winds is certainly dangerous for all, I think that out own use of diesels to power lorries and buses and private cars is holding this particular pollution down at street level.

I too am guilty of this as my latest new car is a diesel too and while I know that that is not good I feel less guilty because the modern diesel vehicles, including my car, have very good particulate filters.

Also, these modern diesels get a third more MPG than petrol cars get.

I am looking forward to the days when electric or hydrogen fuel-cell cars are cheap enough to buy and then I too will be doing what I can to help to solve this problem, by buying one.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:53 pm