Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Who needs Statins for high cholesterol ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Who needs Statins for high cholesterol ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 11:51 am

"A cup of Earl Grey 'as good as statins' at fighting heart disease", a study finds

Scientists believe bergamot, a key ingredient in Earl Grey tea, can significantly lower cholesterol.They also found that bergamot could even be as effective as statins, used to control cholesterol but which can have side effects in patients.

They say bergamot contains enzymes known as HMGF (hydroxy methyl glutaryl flavonones) which can attack proteins in the body known to cause heart disease.

These researchers from Italy's University of Calabria, writing for the Journal of Functional Foods, used concentrations of HMGF on the proteins which cause the build up of 'bad' cholesterol.

I for one found this research both interesting and right to the point as both myself and my wife have suffered severe side-effects from taking Simvastatin. Once we stopped taking these statins our severe leg-pains stopped.

Has anybody else here suffered such statins side effects and what did you do about it ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Who needs Statins for high cholesterol ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:01 pm

There was a BBC news item on statins last night.

They were saying that even if there are a lot of side effects from the use of statins for the lowering of cholesterol, they have been seen to reduce alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

Sometimes you just don't know who to believe.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 12:24 pm

Good point Zath'.

One minute they are telling us one thing and the next minute they are telling us something different.

The people that are supposed to have the qualifications to be able to advise us need to get their heads together so that we can actually believe what they say.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Oh, I love Earl Grey tea and I drink it all of the time.

I we were to believe everything we hear and see we would be so mixed up we would not know what to do for the best.

Mind you, if I could afford to buy Benecol, which is also supposed to reduce cholesterol, I would have the lowest levels of cholesterol in the country.Suspect
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

Yes Angie, sometimes we have to take such "facts" with a large pinch of salt.

As far as I am concerned, I drink green tea all of the time as it has been proven to contain many antioxidants.

Me and my good wife have both stopped taking statins because of the severe leg pains that they generated for both of us. Now that we are off these things the leg pains have gone completely.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 11:16 am