Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The EU rules for consumer safety.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12192
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The EU rules for consumer safety.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

Here is the website for the EU consumer safety control.

The European Commission Directorate General for health and consumers.

It's main directive is: "To make Europe a healthier, safer place, where consumers can be confident that their interests are protected."

Have a look at the website and go through some of the links supplied to see what goes on in The European Consumer Safety Control body.

While the EC gets a lot of bad press about some very questionable rulings that lack basic common sense, we should not be persuaded by these flaws that the whole body is a waste of time.

Here are a few of the more silly examples of EC rulings, and HERE'S a site that actually examines these ideas.

"Banana's should not be too bendy.
    Water does not hydrate you.
    Popular snack "Bombay Mix" had to change its name to "Mumbai Mix".
    Prunes are not laxatives.
    Barmaids cannot show their cleavage when serving customers.
    Turnips cannot be labeled "swedes", except in one place.
    Corgis are banned.
    Diabetics are banned from driving.
    Eggs cannot be sold by the dozen.
    European sports teams must have the European flag on their uniforms."

It is sillyness like this that damages the good that the EC can actually do and it is because of these badly thought-out rulings that we - Britain - need to be at the heart of this entity so that we can ensure that such stupidity is kept to an absolute minimum.

What say you ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Re: The EU rules for consumer safety.

Post by Technician on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:51 pm

Hi All,

had to laugh at that Paps. I have been going on for ages about all this crap. That's only for starters, but some good examples there. It would be funny if it was not so sad. Problem is it is all this crap which is costing us billions and shows the EU up for the bunch of technocrats and wasters they are.

Is it any wonder they have not had their books passed by the auditors for nearly 20 years ?. I know how much you admire the 'close ties with Europe', but you will know from my previous comments the 'countries' in Europe as individual entities and cultures are not a problem. The hell bent push to Fedralisation IS. One size does not fit all.

However, I am sure you will be glued to the Farage/ Cleg debate on the 26th (tonight) when we will get a good hearing of the issues, and probably see Clegg get a bl**dy good pasting from Nigel.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

And that is the reason why we should have closer ties to what goes on in the unelected EC.

It is OK for Farage to stand and shout about the flaws in the EU and the EC, and even although he is right in many cases, the best way to fix what is wrong is by making powerful friends within the EU and using these influences to fix what is wrong.

While I do not have much time for Nick Clegg as a person, I do see why he stands up against his partners in the coalition and pushes for better ties for Britain in the EU instead of a desire for pulling out driven by any poorly thought out knee-jerk and populist reaction.

Even Cameron can see that Britain, as the EU's nearest neighbour, must be IN trying to fix things rather than OUT and wondering where all of our trade with Europe has gone.

It is never a good idea - as I see it - to be trying to have one's cake and eat it too as if we do that we are going to finish up not getting a bite at the cake at all.

Sorry, but I missed the debate for family reasons, but I and anyone else can have a look at it again from the BBC website HERE

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Mar 2014, 4:24 pm

I don't know what the fuss was about anyway as a Farage does not even have one of his people in the UK parliament and Clegg's party is burnt out and will have little or no influence in government after the general election.

That was just a spat by two wannabees and nothing else.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

Yes Angie, I think it was the subjects of that debate that triggered the interest and not the people themselves.

I also find it curious that UKIP have nine MEPs in the European Parliament while they do not even have one in Westminster.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:17 am