Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Should Crimea get to re-join Russia ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Should Crimea get to re-join Russia ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm

After the popular vote in Crimea about separatism from Ukraine came down hard on the side of rejoining Russia, America and the EU, including Britain, has dismissed the vote as being illegal and have promised to impose sanctions on many of the Russian and Crimean diplomats that are connected to this breakaway.

OK, I know that we are far removed from the goings on in The Ukraine but I have been considering that if the great majority of the people of The Crimea, ( 93% of the vote ), want to be democratically re-connected to Russia, why don't they just get what they want ?

I mean, do we REALLY want a new cold war over this subject ?

Comments please.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Should Crimea get to re-join Russia ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Forgive me if I think that you might be a bit biased over this idea Paps, but is this, in your mind, not just exactly the same as what the Scottish separatists want ?

Putin has promised that he has no plans for further land-grabs, but I don't think we can trust the Russians as far as this goes as there has been a lot of land lost to Russian Federation control since the Soviet bloc collapsed.

Putin just hates the idea of the EU getting any more powerful and many previous ex Eastern states have already been swallowed up by the EU.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:19 pm

Yes, I can see how you might compare what has happened in Crimea to what is going to happen in Scotland, and I am sure that so long as it is done democratically in Crimea I can see little wrong with it.

Obama and Cameron and Merkel can  bluster all they want but they will not want to actually fall out with Putin as Russia supplies a lot of gas to Germany in particular and to the rest of of  Europe, including Britain. Also, Spain has been bailed out by Russian money and all of Europe want the Russian oligarchs to keep spending their money within the community.

That is one sleeping bear that should be allowed to stay asleep.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm

It looks as if Putin has done it in a fait-accompli by signing a treaty which forces the annexation of Crimea to the Russian Federation.

The EU and America can bluster all they want, but the act is done and it is not going to be undone by anything less than a new war between the West and the East.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:34 pm