Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Greed of the big supermarket chains

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Greed of the big supermarket chains

Post by Technician on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 8:33 am

Hi All,

Today we find this from the Telegraph:

'The supermarket group Morrisons has pledged to aggressively cut prices in its stores after slumping to a loss in the face of competition from discounters Aldi and Lidl.

The Bradford-based retailer reported a pre-tax loss of 176m for the year to February 2 after writing down the value of its property, IT, and baby equipment retailer Kiddicare.

This was on the back of a 2.8pc fall in like-for-likes sales over the last 12 months as Morrisons lost shoppers to discounters Aldi and Lidl.' ( Tesco are feeling the pinch as well ).

The other week the CEO of Morrisons went on TV and told us all his stores were not 'discounters'. Well that's fine then, as the rush to Aldi and Lidl has started to give these big boys a bloody nose. I do most of my non meat shopping at Aldi or Lidl, and save by doing so!.

I could easily tell Morrisons how to cut cost. they can start by dispensing will all that unecessary packaging they use and the cling wrap!

Asda are also feeling the pinch, but I am not surprised by all the crap they stock. You would need to be a moron and like paying higher prices if you shop there. Example last week: Skimmed milk ASDA 57p....same stuff in Aldi 53p.

Its a no brainer. I keep my eye out for all this stuff as my good lady lets me do the shoping; as if I let her loose we would spend a ruddy fortune!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11946
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Greed of the big supermarket chains

Post by papa_umau on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 12:27 pm

That's amusing Technician. Very Happy

Strangely, as my wife goes to an exercise class on our shopping day I get to do the Aldi shop all by myself too. After her class is over I pick her up and then we get the things that Aldi don't have, in Asda. ( The best large supermarket for true competition in Scotland outside of Aldi and Lidl ).

I have always said that the German-owned supermarkets of Aldi and Lidl DO compete for price and that is why the big guys are now hurting. Hell mend em I say, as if there was no Aldi and Lidl for us to use they would screw us into the ground with their so-called "price-matching", ( not true competition ), nonsense.

Although there is supposed to be a "price-war" going on for milk at the moment I always buy my fresh semi-skimmed from Aldi as Aldi always comes out the cheapest over any time-period.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

Hi again Technician.

I too say "hell-mend-em", as they have been able to get their heads together to diddle us for far too long.

Real competition is what is supposed to drive the free market, but as I see it there is often no such thing.

Trust the Jerries to bring the competition that should always have been there. Maybe now the big six supermarkets will start to be "discounters" and if they do it right they may get some of the market back from the likes of Lidl and Aldi.
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Supermarkets

Post by Technician on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

Hi all,

Thank you gentlemen. Funny Zath, but it is the Germans which are at the forefront of this. I know some on hear think I am anti-Europe. No such thing, just anti EU ( the organisation which has not had the auditors pass their books for 19 years in a row ! ).

I have travelled extensively in Germany, and Aldi/Lidl is big business, as it is in France and other mainline European countries. Fact is the Germans will not put up with the crap we will. The philosophy of Aldi ( ie, from its founder an ex Wermacht soldier !! ) is give me the best quality for the best price.

I hope the big boys squirm; because as you pont out Zath they would be hell bent on screwing us rotten if this competition was not there. However, don't hold your breath. I don't expect to see much 'discounting' from the likes of Morrisons. Paps, as for Asda, I hate the place. My blood boils as soon as I enter the doors, so I avoild at all costs....even more now they have forced all those self service check outs on us !

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

Yes that Is one of the things that I hate in Asda too. Mind you all of the big six are changing over to self-operated checkouts too.

Maybe my local ASDA is working closer to the design that was famous in America when it was taken over by family business Walmart.

Another thing that is interesting about my local ASDA is that it does a lot with and for the community as it is always raising money for good causes.

I guess it all falls down to the local manager as some of them are good and others certainly are not.

An interesting point made in my Daily newspaper this morning:

Talking about Lidl and Aldi the Daily Record reported that Karl Albrecht - the original founder of Aldi - is now in his 90's and he is the richest person in Germany with a fortune of 14 billion. SO, it seems that money can be made at being a grocer without ripping off the customers.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

As I see it, it is great to watch the big supermarkets being hit hard by the discounting stores like Lidl and Aldi as if they were not there the big stores would have the trade sewn up and could charge us what they like.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

Yes, Angie, the likes of Lidl and Aldi and a few other small supermarkets, ( usually connected with Pakistani or Indian buying groups ), do generate real competition and they are vital in the marketplace in order to keep the big boys on their toes.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:59 am