Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Should HS2 be cancelled ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Should HS2 be cancelled ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:48 am

It has been suggested that shelving the 42.6 billion HS2 project might be damaging to business and would create a loss of thousands of new jobs, and cause a blockage in the already-congested transport netwoks, but I wonder if this could become just another white elephant that would get us into billions of pounds of debt while it would not even get any further North than Manchester at that cost.

HERE is a discussion on this idea from the online Guardian newspaper.

What do you think of this idea in these days of austerity, and if any government that is supposed to be cutting spending instead of throwing more billions of pounds at an ENGLISH high-speed rail network, should this project be either driven on up to Edinburgh and beyond or should it be scrapped completely ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Should HS2 be cancelled ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:32 am

If they are going to chuck a hundred billion pounds at the new Trident and they are going to write a blank cheque for the flood defences of Somerset, I don't see why they cannot go the whole hog and build the new HS2 all the way to Scotland.

What's another 42.6 billion pounds for HS2 after spending so much on all of these other reasons.

I am sure that the Tories will be quite pleased when they get booted out next year as then these expenses will be out of their hands.

Isn't it great what can be promised just before a general election ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

I don't think this is about the government not having the money, it is more about where and how much they are going to spend on pet projects.

The Tories always go on about Labour being a tax-and-spend government of the past, and yet here we see the Con-Dem government thinking of throwing many extra multi billions of pounds of taxpayers money on their own pet schemes.

It would not be so bad if they were cutting borrowing, but they are not, as over the years, and including the years when the Con-Dem government has been in charge, government debt has continued to climb.

See this from UK Public Spending.co.uk

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

I just don't get it. Maybe I am just thick or something ?

To spend 42.6 billion to build a superfast rail-link from London to Birmingham in order to save 45 minutes in time seems to be a lot of money for very little benefit.

If it went on up past Edinburgh and finished up at Aberdeen, ( the nation's oil capital ), that would not be so bad, but for it to just go half way up the country seems not only unfair, but it will be money wasted.

Another point I just found:

If the planned-for new Hitachi 140 mph trains are put on the normal rail-line to the North, instead of a 45 minute saving on HS2 the compared saving will only be about 27 minutes.

I found this here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10411885/HS2-time-savings-exaggerated-critics-say.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:37 am