Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A free market for secondary school places.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

A free market for secondary school places.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 1:01 pm

Being a teacher I was shocked at just how commercial the education of our kids is becoming these days.

I read a story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10668618/School-admissions-up-to-12-pupils-compete-for-each-place.html which said that:

"One in seven children in England around 76,000 are likely to be forced to accept second, third or even fourth-choice schools amid mounting competition between pupils."

It now seems as if the state education system is losing out to the subsidised Academies and faith Schools and private schools even if a number of these schools have had to close recently because they are just not any good at it.

Maybe it is time that the private side and the public side had a clear demarcation line between them as it cannot be right for any private sector school to subsist on taxpayers money.

Comments please.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: A free market for secondary school places.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:19 pm

I have always said this Angie, as while I am not against private schools or faith schools per-se, I see no reason why these schools should be subsidised by taxpayers money.

The state schools should be places of excellence where the three "Rs" are taught by the best teachers and where the fourth "R", ( religion ), is kept well clear of the impressionable minds of our kids.

State schools should remain comprehensive and they should be exactly the same right across the country so that there is no "post-code" education anywhere in Britain.

If people are rich enough to send their children to private schools then I say let them get on with it so long as doing so does not detract from any state education.

Also,so long as knowledge of all of the religions is taught there without favour being given to any one religion, including the Christian religion, the children should come out at the other end with enough knowledge in their heads to make up their minds if they want to adopt any religion into their lives - or not - afterwards.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 12:22 pm

Well said Papa.

While I am not an atheist like you I do not conform to the British stereotype of being a Christian and it galls me to have to take my class to church for Christmas and Easter gatherings.

If I had the courage to complain I would probably be sacked. Suspect

There are a number of Muslim and Jewish children in my class and they are allowed to stay back and be supervised at the school when the rest go to church. These grouped-as "Christian" children do not have a choice to go or not.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

Yes Angie, unlike the American state Schools, the British state schools are all based on the Christian religion.

Ordinary teaching should be totally secular so that the state cannot be blamed for indoctrinating young and vulnerable minds into any one religion.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm