Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Smoking in cars with children banned.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Smoking in cars with children banned.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

After a vote in The Commons yesterday of 376 for and 107 against was passed, a new law will be introduced to make smoking in a private car while children are present an offence in England and Wales.

What do you think about that then ?

Do you think that this new law will be enforceable or do you think that it will be very difficult or even impossible to enforce ?

Do you think that it should be an offence at all, or do you think that this is just another "nanny state" action ?

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Re: Smoking in cars with children banned.

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:30 pm

papa_umau wrote:After a vote in The Commons yesterday of 376 for and 107 against was passed, a new law will be introduced to make smoking in a private car while children are present an offence in England and Wales.

What do you think about that then ?

Do you think that this new law will be enforceable or do you think that it will be very difficult or even impossible to enforce ?

Do you think that it should be an offence at all, or do you think that this is just another "nanny state" action ?

I think people will still do it in the main. I seen a woman doing it the other day with what looked like her grandchild in the back of the car, so I wasn't sure what she thought of that. You'd think people would have a bit of common sense and I think most do. Well I suppose it will not stop people doing it in their house though will it.

Am away for a puff Smile
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

Yes Andrew, as an ex smoker myself I know what it is like to "need" a smoke and I have to admit that I have often smoked in my own cars over the years.

Having said that I would NEVER smoke in my car if anybody else is in it and I would have definitely not smoked if any of my children or grandchildren were in the car either.

As you said - in so many words - this is simply selfishness and "lack of common sense" and it is, or should be, obviously dangerous for the vulnerable lungs of children.

As far as making it illegal is concerned; I do not think that the police either have the numbers or the inclination to enforce this as it should be enforced, if it is introduced.

A nice idea, but I think it will be just about as successful as driving without a seat belt has been in the past.

As far as your point of "doing it in the house" is concerned; I think that firstly, smoking in the house is not doing it in as confined an area as a car, and secondly, if they do it in front of children in the home, they will be liable to do it in the car too.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm

It will never happen as it will be impossible to enforce.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 24 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm

IF they stop you here for doing something else-speeding, running stop light etc, then they can ticket you for smoking with a child in the car (if the kid is under 16). That's about the limit for it here. As my daughter is a bit underage for the next couple of months that's it for me. One thing they stopped putting in American cars I seriously miss-the little side window. As it stands now I have to keep my window cracked a bit which sucks 90% of the smoke out anyway. Shrug.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:25 am

In a recent advertisment against smoking in cars - in Britain - it was shown that even with an open window most of the invisible toxins from smoking still hang around.

I think that that point is one of the points that some carenought smokers use to try to legalise - in their own minds - the idea that so long as a window is open it is OK to smoke in a car when a child is present. It is NOT, under any circumstances, right to do this.

Having said that, it IS true that many traffic cops, ( at least in Britain ), do stop vehicles on a pretext just so that they can apply some other secondary law. They might very well do this if smoking is banned when children are present, as they do at the moment if seat-belts are not worn or a mobile phone is seen in the hand of a driver.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:24 pm