Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Fake food scandal revealed.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Fake food scandal revealed.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

Fake-food scandal revealed as tests show a third of products were mislabelled

Consumers are being sold drinks with banned flame-retardant additives, pork in beef, and fake cheese, laboratory tests show.

Some ham tested contained 'meat emulsion' (meat ground with additives so fat can be put through it) or 'meat slurry' (removing scraps of meat from bones).

Consumers are being sold food including mozzarella that is less than half real cheese, ham on pizzas that is either poultry or "meat emulsion", and frozen prawns that are 50% water, according to tests by a public laboratory.

The checks on hundreds of food samples, which were taken in West Yorkshire, revealed that more than a third were not what they claimed to be, or were mislabelled in some way.

Find out more from The Guardian HERE.

It seems that if the food industry think they are going to get away with such "stuff" they don't care if they are caught at it or not.

Let's hope that this information leads to some convictions and some really heavy fines for trying to hoodwink the consumers.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Fake food scandal revealed.

Post by zathrus on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:25 pm

What the hell are the food standards people paid for ?

It is ridiculous that you are able to report this Paps when we have had so much bother with other foodstuffs problems.

I am thinking about, BSE, horsemeat, listeria, dangerous preservatives, and the many e-numbers that are supposed to have been banned.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:59 am

Yes, it is beginning to look as if they are NEVER going to learn how to behave in the food market.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:55 am

You know the answer, don't you ?

Grow all your own veg, and never buy any meats that are in convenience packaging.

Although I am a vegetarian I often buy my meat and cheese for my partner from the real butchers down the road.

Not the easiest or the cheapest way, but the safest way, I think,
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

That's a great idea Angie, IF you have the land on which to do it.

In my last home I had a garden of a third of an acre and I DID grow all of my own veggies AND a lot of cooking herbs too, ( I also had a mixed-fruit orchard there as well ), but now that I am back in civilisation my garden is too small to grow any amount of vegetables or fruit in.

I guess that many thousands of town-dwellers and especially those who live in flats will have this problem too.

I certainly do agree with the buying of real meat from the butcher's shop "down the road" as the supermarkets are the ones mainly to blame for offering these low-standard and questionable convenience foods.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 24 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

Actually Paps you have more than enough back garden to grow enough food for you and your wife. Yes, I do know how big it is. You just aren't willing to live like that. I live on an acre and between the piss poor soil and the local wildlife nothing will grow on it. Well, nothing usable. I have a covered deck and an open one (about 12x24 foot between the two) with containers and last year we ate quite well off it and there are 4 of us. Thank goodness water is included in the rent, the drought gets worse by the year. I have tons of dried peas and beans in the pantry, veg in the freezer includes spinach, carrots, various squash and lots of other things. It's a hell of a lot simpler this way and we don't have to worry about the budget quite so much. We started with chickens last spring and I'm giving fresh eggs away left and right. We bought a 1/4 share in a cow and a pig so next fall the freezer will be set for the year. I even have a sausage stuffer (circa 1923) and casing is $5 for a 7 pound package so even that's not a worry. I make good sausages!
    As to the fake food, gotta agree. It's worse here cause there are more people who just wanna go for the ever mighty $. People really need to quit worrying about the lastest toy and get on with living.
    JMHO
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:13 am

I don't know how you know how much garden I have as even if you could find my actual address on Google Earth satellite pictures you would not see that I have a large workshop in my new garden, which leaves only a postage-stamp bit of growing earth.

I do have one apple tree, a rhubarb patch, a chives plant and a rosemary plant, with only enough garden left for around two stone of tatties. That is a long way away from a third of an acre.

Anyway, I was more concerned with people who have no ground at all and because it is the case that the the largest conurbations usually live in flats in cities and towns, they have no choice but to either shop easy or to shop expensively.

A rather typical trend in Britain is where people who live in high concentrations usually rent what is called allotments and here they have fairly large pieces of ground where they can augment their bought fresh-vegetable-foods.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:32 am