Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Electronic cigarettes.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Electronic cigarettes.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm

Smoking in public places is back - but not as we know it.

An estimated 1.3 million people across Britain have now switched to electronic cigarettes, joined by, among others, the supermodel Kate Moss.

The electronic look-alikes, which are shaped and weighted to feel like the real thing, contain a battery and a heating device - this vaporises a nicotine solution contained in a disposable cartridge, giving the 'smoker a nicotine "hit" without the harmful tar and carbon monoxide produced when tobacco is burned.

Because they contain no tobacco, e-cigarettes are not covered by laws banning smoking in a public space, so in theory you can smoke them anywhere - in a car, the pub, and even when you are waiting to pick up your children from the school playground. There is also no age restriction.

Sales of the e-cigarette - invented in 2003 by a Chinese chemist - have rocketed since its introduction to UK shops in 2007. The UK is one of the fast-growing markets for the device - but restaurateurs, train companies and doctors are now calling for their restriction.

Find out more about these "cigarettes" HERE

I think if we look at these "things" clearly we see that they are just another version of the nicotine patch or chewing gum and as such they continue to be a "crutch" to people who have great problems trying to stop smoking.

When all else is considered these kid-on cigarettes are still sending one of the most deadly poisons known to man straight down into your lungs.

Here is a quote from a toxicology study on the effects of pure liquid nicotine. ( Pure nicotine is extracted from the plant, Deadly Nightshade ).

"Spilling a small amount of a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact."

Also, nicotine can be built up in the body - with dangerous side-effects - if too many sources of this substance are used at the same time to substitute for the smoking of tobacco.

Well folks, what do YOU think about the use of these new artificial cigarettes, and do you think that they should be used as an aid to stop smoking ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: Electronic cigarettes.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

I don't know about you guys but I am very suspicious of these electronic cigarettes.

I think that they could cause bother if their users try to start them up where cigarettes are not allowed. After all they do emit a smoky vapour when they are used, do they not ?

I notice that you are going to have to be eighteen years of age to use these things once they come under the same regulations that will treat them as medicines are treated.

I found this here: http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_897.pdf
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm

Once these electronic cigarettes come under the medicines regulations I think we are going to see a very quick response against them.

Being an ex-smoker myself I know for a fact that when one replaces the cigarette with any kind of a nicotine "crutch" the first step towards getting rid of the addiction to nicotine is not removed by replacing the hit by the use of pills or patches or electronic cigarettes.

After failing to stop several times myself I found that the only way to get rid of the cravings was to go "cold turkey" and just to give up while the nicotine was still in my blood.

That is a hard way to do it but the best way, I think, as the nicotine addiction is just about as bad as a heroin addiction and all such addictions need to be beaten mostly by will power.

Anybody ?

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 24 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm

Actually-the vapour is just water vapour, not smoke. They are a hell of a lot heavier than a real cig, more than the weight of a whole pack to be truthful. Nicotine addiction is actually WORSE than heroin so there's that. Not going to get into the pros and cons of smoking. WAY to volatile. What I will say is something people don't talk about. If you don't smoke, have never smoked and are never around anyone who smokes and are in a car wreck with your wife and kids-you, and everyone in both cars are counted as smoking related deaths if the other driver smokes. So I found on the WHO website. So nice!
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:59 am

Yes Tuppence, even if most people already realise that the "smokey" stuff that comes out of the end of the electric ciggies is not actually smoke, it still looks as if it is cigarette-smoke. Maybe that is why so many people are still against their use in public.

I would be willing to agree that a nicotine addiction is just about the same as a heroin addiction as far as being difficult to stop is concerned, I also have to say that even if nicotine in such small doses is not such a killer as heroin is, it is still a nasty habit.

I think that once they are classed as "medicines" in Britain we are going to see the authorities clamping down on them.

One for the future I think.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 5:35 pm

My daughter uses one of these things, I think she's daft personally.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Apr 2014, 11:48 am

It is another way to get the nicotine "fix" that smokers need and I suppose that it also FEELS like they are actually smoking too.

All of these devices, patches and pills etc' are just crutches for people that do not have the willpower to stop.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

Did any of you see this on the news last night ?

A BBC news reporter was in a bar in Wales where just about all of the punters were puffing on these things.

A Welsh politician was saying that an investigation on these contraptions was underway and that if they proved to be harmful to others there is a good chance that they too might be banned.

It was mentioned that the original smokers ban was started in Wales and that Wales might give the lead on this latest habit too.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

Yeah, I saw that Zathrus.

I don't smoke and never have, so the argument is moot as far as I am concerned. Anyway, these silly things are just a fad and I think that they will disappear as quickly as they arrived.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 4:55 am