Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A shocking bit of knowledge - "e-call"

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A shocking bit of knowledge - "e-call"

Post by papa_umau on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

A recent trend in the security of cars is a new device that automatically calls the car's manufacturers and the emergency services when that car has been in an accident. It can also be triggered by the press of a single button on the car's dashboard or above the consol.

These clever bits of kit, ( "The e-call module" ), are already found in BMWs, Citroens and Volvos and they are to be installed in just about all modern cars, bought new, in the coming future.

NOW.... The point of this post:

As I am already aware that I have this bit of kit in my own new Citroen, I worry a bit about the weaknesses that are embedded in this hi-tech module.

Andy Davis, of IT security leaders, NCC Group, says that devices such as these could be interesting to hackers who might want to find out about data generated by the car, or who may be able to use this entry to the car's electronics in order to attack the car's electronic systems. In fact he said that it would not be impossible by this kind of hack, to take over some of the controls of the car.

The "e-call" device, ( which uses mobile phone technology, GPS, and has it's own IP address and "sim" card ), can also be used by surveillance companies, ( and governments ), to track every move a driver makes, and Interpol ( ICPO ), have already used this in-car system for the tracking of "criminals".

HERE is a link to the Wicki site that explains about this technology.

If interested just pop the words "e-call" into Google and read the hits you will get for it there.

Well, there you have it folks. You first heard about this nasty bit of kit from your friendly ROB website, but you will be hearing more about this in the future.

What do you think of this latest bit of in-car hi-tech wizardry ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 02 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: A shocking bit of knowledge - "e-call"

Post by Angie baby on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 2:04 pm

I haven't a clue what you are talking about, but as you are an honest chap I will take your word for it.

I would just be happy to be able to buy an old second hand car never mind a spanking-new one.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 02 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

Don't just "take my word for it" Angie, ( or anybody ). If you are interested, just pop the term "e-call" into Google and read about it for yourself.

What you may find when you do this is that you will get a lot of hits that encourage people to laud the e-call service because of its time-saving responses for accidents and breakdowns, but very few of these adverts will tell you about the down-side to having this amount of automated electronic control-and-communication in your car.

HERE is only one of those hits that explains a bit more about "e-call".

And, HERE is more on the EU "Heero-pilot" system and it's legislative plans.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm