Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The price of Spice

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

The price of Spice

Post by Technician on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:26 am

Ever noticed how much spices are ??. I like spicy food and I make curries etc, so use the things quite a lot. If you are in a city and near an Asian community you can get some good stuff at a reasonable price, but just try going in a supermarket !!.

Own brand spices are perhaps the best bet and I tend to head for these, but one 'brand leader' is taking the p*ss.

Example: Carraway seeds ( small jar: ASDA own brand 79p )

Shwartz ( same small jar size 1.74p !!!)

Be warned, avoid them...and the crappy packets of 'fresh spices' which wilt within 48 hrs

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11927
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The price of Spice

Post by papa_umau on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm

Thanks for that advice Technician, as even if I don't eat much spiced food I know that the growth of Asian and Chinese curries is massive in Britain.

What you are saying there is something that I have been saying in general for years.

People, especially the snobby people, like to be able to say that "I buy the expensive designer labels because these items are always of the best quality", but I have always said that just because we are buying a "NAME" does not necessarily equate that those named goods are always of the best quality.

In fact it is because of this argument that the wife and I seldom buy stuff from the big six supermarkets and we always buy our staple foods from the likes of Lidl and Aldi.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2368
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:59 am

Thanks for the information Technician, as I never really noticed the price of spice until you pointed it out.

My boyfriend is daft for curries and he always wants me to make him them when he is not bringing them home with him from the pub.

I will admit though, that I just buy the already mixed curry sauces that are found in jars all over the place.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:08 pm

Yes, the likes of Pataks and a few others are now supplying the genuine Indian curry flavours in jars, which make the production of proper curries at home a much easier task.

Mind you, I think that more and more people - like Technician - are now doing it from scratch at home and the companies that supply the spices for these do-it-yourself curry-makers are hitting them hard for their efforts and interest in trying to do it right.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm

I look to my local asian supermarket for my spices. Much cheaper, also you can get advice on using them from the stores.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

The ordinary supermarkets are trying to catch on to this market too, now, as you can find many "spicy" pots and packets ready made that just about suits all tastes in Britain.

The Indian and Thai restaurants and carry out places etc' have revolutionised how we eat in Britain.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 1:02 pm