Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The road to watch out for in Scotland.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The road to watch out for in Scotland.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

For many years we at ROB have been discussing how the local authorities have made cash-cows out of the motorists of this land.

We have complained bitterly at the ways that they take our hard-earned cash out of our pockets and purses via parking fines, road tolls, bridge tolls and speeding fines and I have recently found just one road in Scotland that has made more money for the local authority that controls it than any other road in the country, including the motorways.

The top earner in speeding fines is the A9 road from Stirling, via Dunblane, to Perth has made more money from speeding fines than any other road in Scotland.

Read about this story in full from The Scottish Daily Record HERE.

Last year this one road made more than 250,000 in speeding fines, with 4217 cars being caught on camera. This is an average per day of eleven speeding offences.

For an important arterial road from the central-belt to the North this is a scandal of great proportions. If so many people are getting caught for speeding on this one stretch of road there must be something wrong with the road itself.

Any ideas folks ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

ex-newcarsalesman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Re: The road to watch out for in Scotland.

Post by ex-newcarsalesman on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

When I had my hotel north of "Invershnekie", I had to endure that A9. So. I bought myself a "Snooper" which beeped as I approached speed cameras, laser traps or other devices. Worked every time and I never got a point. I don't know where the cameras are now, but I remember one in particular - if you haven't used the A9, it is single-carriageway where you are slowed constantly by Tesco's lorries abiding by their 40mph limit. So when you hit the tiny stretches of dual-carriageway and accelerate to pass these (and caravans), you find that part of the road suddenly drops to 50mph and a camera has been hidden there.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

Well said Carman !

I too am a regular user of the A9, as I use it a number of times every year to holiday in the North or to visit friends in Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.

Never been to "Inversneckie" though. Suspect

I feel extremely lucky that I have not been caught speeding too as, as you say, because of the number of changes in speed limit and road-layout with single-lane, and dual-carriageways changing without much warning, it is easy to get caught out.

Although I hate it, and I DO love motoring, I just stick to the left-hand side of the road and get bored stiff by sitting behind lorries most of the way.

Maybe I will buy one of those "snooper" thingies too if they are as effective as you say.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm

If ever I go to Scotland I will watch out for that particular road, but, as far as I am led to know; all of them are worth watching up there in haggis-land.

I believe that trick of a dual-carriageway suddenly becoming a single-carriageway and then back to a dual carriageway again is a common practice up in Scotland.

Also I have heard that a lot of the roads around all of that water up there are served only by real single roads interspersed by the odd passing place.

"Too risky", I call it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

"Haggis-land" you cheeky we besom ! Twisted Evil

Mind you I will admit that once we are off any one of the four motorways in Scotland, ( the M7, M8, M9 and M90 ), and their sub-division connections we usually very quickly get down and dirty with a horrible mix of dual-carriageways and single-track roads, especially up in the North of the country.

Driving in Scotland is no picnic I can tell you.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

Haggis, YUM!

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Apr 2014, 11:13 am

Yes, I agree that it is very "yum" so long as you don't think too long about what is in it.

My particular favourite, which is now catching on in Scotland is "spicy-haggis". This can now be found in just about all chip-shops up here.

You can recognise it as it is not in the usual "pudding" shape; it is shaped like a wee cushion.

If you can find it, try it, as it is not too spicy.....just right.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:33 pm