Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Famous British foods get protection.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Famous British foods get protection.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 15 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

It has always been a bit of a bugbear that companies and even other countries can copy, ( usually very poorly ), our best quality food and drink and now it is good to see that these special items are going to be better protected within the EU.

An article from ITV news highlights this HERE.

Headline from ITV News:

"British salt and beef granted protected status.

Anglesey sea salt and West Country beef and lamb have been awarded European Union protected food name status."

HERE is also a news item that discusses this phenomenon.

I am sure that you can think of some food item that comes from your area that is copied by the rip-off merchants out there.

My particular few are Forfar Bridies, Scotch Whisky, and Orkney Black Pudding.

What's yours ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Famous British foods get protection.

Post by zathrus on Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:39 pm

And, what about Geordie "Peas Pudding" ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

Funny you should mention "peas pudding" as I used to love it when I lived in Northumberland, many many moons ago.

I have looked for it fresh made in Scotland, but up here nobody knows about it never mind make it fresh to buy.

I have, on occasion, bought a tin of it from the Scottish supermarkets, but recently I have been making it myself.

It is not hard to make as all you need is a pack of split yellow peas, a ham hough, some herbs and spices and a muslin bag. After which you crush the peas by hammering them in a cloth and then make a stock from the hough and after tearing the cooked hough apart and slicing it very fine it can go into the muslin-bag, ( tied tightly with string ), along with the broken yellow peas and be simmered slowly for an hour and a half.

When cooked take it out of the pot, and put it into a fine sieve over a container and drain out most of the fluid by pressing it down with a plate. Once drained and cooled, open the muslin bag, turn it out and upside down on a large plate, cover it with cling-film and put it into the fridge to fully set.

Afterwards you can cut slices off it and spread it on toast, put it along-side a salad or just make a sandwich of it.

I love it, but it is an acquired taste for some.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:55 am