Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

That crazy 11 % rise for politicians.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

That crazy 11 % rise for politicians.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:32 pm

Headline in The Daily Mail online:

We want our 11% pay rise and we're going to get it, MPs tell Cameron as he battles to block inflation-busting hike.

David Cameron facing pressure from a group of backbenchers who insist the 11 per cent rise must be implemented.

Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority ( Ipsa ) was condemned by three main parties for suggesting increase from 66,396 to 74,000 in 2015 would see MPs earn almost treble the national average wage of 26,000

Read more on this HERE.

In the Scottish Parliament, Presiding Officer, Tricia Marwick said that it was "unthinkable that MSPs should get 87.5% of this rise when many Scots are struggling to make ends meet !"

The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body, ( SPCB ) has recommended a one percent rise next year and that in future MSP's pay should be linked with other pay increases in the public sector in Scotland.

The Scottish Parliament in Holyrood will vote on this early next year.

Well folks, I think that this suggested rise for politicians in Westminster is of such a magnitude that the people of Britain will not accept it if it goes ahead.

Will YOU accept it or do you, like me, think it is just too outrageous to stand.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: That crazy 11 % rise for politicians.

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 8:06 pm

I don't like it, but the IPSA was made independant of Parliamentary control after the Expenses fracas. I think we don't have much hope of reversing it.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Thu 12 Dec 2013, 3:02 pm

I have very mixed feeling on this topic. Pay pea nuts, and you get the very rude back bench yobs we have now who are not worth 64000 never mind 74000. Why do I say rude you only have to watch PM question time to know the reason. Half the question time spent by the speaker telling the MPs to shut up. With the large pay rise we just might get rid of this shower we have at the moment on both sides of the house.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm

Must disagree with you there Hughh, as in my estimation, high cost NEVER guarantees high quality.

This supposedly "independent" group, ( IPSA ), who now set the wages for MPs is not working and just like a few other quangos and privatised government departments, they too are not fit for purpose.

The basic standard that the MPs should be following is the same standard that the rest of us are being forced to follow. That of a maximum 1% rise while these austerity policies are in force.

AS a member of Change.org the country's best lobbying group, I recently voted for a petition to try to stop this unreasonable rise in MPs pay, and I got a reply that the final petition of 280,000 votes to scrap this pay deal has been presented to the PMs office and that this high number of votes will trigger a debate in The Commons.

Here is a part of this e-mail from Chang.org:

Paul --

Thank you for signing my petition to stop the MPs' pay rise, over 280,000 people have added their name to yours -- incredible!

Today the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) published its report on MPs' pay and pensions which included a 9.26% raise in MPs' pay to 74,000 in 2015.

This isn't the 11% that was originally predicted and comes alongside reductions in pension packages meaning there is no cost to the taxpayer. But with the average UK salary at just 27,000, at a time when so many people are suffering redundancy and public sector workers' pay is capped at 1%, MPs should be showing that we're all truly 'in this together'.

Yesterday in Prime Minister's Questions, David Cameron called the rise "inappropriate" and urged IPSA to "think again".

I guess we are just going to have to watch this space as the discussions about this rise are certainly not finished yet.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

Certainly will not get the best for the job with 64000 or 74000 for that matter. But I agree with you this shower not worth the 11% pay rise
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

I think that this has a way to run yet as there has been so much noise made by just about everyone in and out of politics about this rise.

I will be very surprised if this wage-rise ever comes into force when it is due in 2015.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 1:11 am