Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Food prices rise at twice the inflation rate.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Food prices rise at twice the inflation rate.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:35 pm

James Foord or the price comparison website MySupermarket has tracked the cost of more than 100,000 items at Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, Waitrose, Aldi and online retailer Ocado.

He said that: "The squeeze on family budgets shows no sign of ending just weeks before Christmas."

A Poll by the Sunday Mirror also shows the price of popular Christmas drinks are also up.

Sherry has increased by 9.4 percent as has Port and Vermouth. White wine is up by 6.7 percent, while the average price of a bottle of red is up 6.2 percent. The average bottle of sparkling wine has risen by a staggering 24.9 percent.

Many customers should watch out for a price-cutting bonanza where these supermarkets are cutting a few items to the bone to attract customers in.

Well, folks, there you have it.

They are after your money by any means they think they can get away with, so be very careful out there at this time of year.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Food prices rise at twice the inflation rate.

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

The price of turkeys and other meats is sky-high this year.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

Have said it before and will say it again-I will WILLINGLY trade my grocery tab (4 adult size people) for yours any day of the blooming week.
    4 rather aenemic parsnips at my local grocers-3.50gbp. If they were carrots they'd still be scrawny.
    Harrumph
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:37 am

Hell's Granny wrote:The price of turkeys and other meats is sky-high this year.

Yes, HG, as the passenger in a shopping spree by the wife I had noticed that the meats that are usually retailed at Christmas were much more expensive here than they were last year.

Just something else to pile onto the increased and increasing cost of living in Britain.

For a change we bought a frozen "Hog-roast" from Iceland at a tenner this year instead of the expensive turkey that you speak about.

I can imagine many families that are already suffering because of Cameron's and Osborne's austerity policies getting themselves into terrible debt in order to do the Christmas thing this year.

TuppenceHapenny wrote:Have said it before and will say it again-I will WILLINGLY trade my grocery tab (4 adult size people) for yours any day of the blooming week.
    4 rather aenemic parsnips at my local grocers-3.50gbp. If they were carrots they'd still be scrawny.
    Harrumph
    Tuppence

You keep saying that America is more expensive for buying food than Britain is, but I guess we all have to value such expenses against our own cost of living in order to get their true value.

I dunno.....Maybe you are just shopping in the wrong places over there.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm

"You keep saying that America is more expensive for buying food than Britain is, but I guess we all have to value such expenses against our own cost of living in order to get their true value.

I dunno.....Maybe you are just shopping in the wrong places over there."

Locally I can shop at the lone grocery shop (OR the quickie mart which aint a gonna happen). Once a month I go into the next town and do a big shop. I hit the big grocery shop and Walmart. Nothing else there.
    I've gone online and taken my grocery list with me to shop Tesco, Aldi, Asda and a couple others over that side of the pond. What would cost me a bit over $200 gbp here costs 60-75 gbp for the same items over there. How is that cheaper here? AND I buy my meat by the pound not the kilo so in reality I'd be getting double meat for less. Sounds like a better deal to me.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm

I guess that, as I do, many people actually look for the most expensive stuff so that they can berate them about this.

That said, I am sure that the big supermarkets in America, ( the small shops and the local kwikemart cannot normally compete so they are not included in the comparison ), price their food at a level that equates with the general cost of living and the American inflation rate so that they can compete with each other for the available money in the open market. ( In my opinion, nobody is better at marketeering than the American experts are, as the rest of the world copy how they do it ).

This means that even if they price-match over there, as they often do here, their prices will be set at what they think the market can stand.

In Britain we have two supermarket chains which give the big five a good run for their money - and some true competition - and which forces prices down. They are called Aldi and Lidl and they are Germany-based.

I do not know if they have appeared in America yet !

Without Aldi and Lidl and a few Pakistani-controlled mini-mart buying groups, the prices in Britain would be set by the big five supermarkets and we would all suffer because of this. But, thank heavens, there is still a bit of true competition here because of these German and Pakistani markets in Britain.

Maybe the big guns do not have any such competition in America and because of this they rule the roost as far as price-setting is concerned.

Maybe you could advise us on ROB about this

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:25 pm

Aldis has a small market in the US. None around here tho. People didn't react well to them tho. The prices were so cheap they figured summat was wrong with the food, me however I just kept on going cause I knew what it was.
    There are probably 50 or so Big Store grocers here in the us, prolly more. Prices are regional not national. Having gone thru the Tescos site and the others I would STILL trade grocery bills with you. And have change left over.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:24 pm

I think that the flaw in your reasoning is that you want to connect to our prices in Pounds and apply this to your cost of living in Dollars.

This is a difficult thing to do as our cost of living is probably much higher than it is in America and one has to actually live here to know how far the money goes here.

At the moment, ( and don't just take my word for it ), prices are rising inexorable here while wages are ether frozen or stuck at a one-percent ceiling.

Our Tory-led government, ( the American equivalent of The Republicans ), are trying to say that our economy is getting better and that we are finally getting out of the recession that all modern nations in the world have suffered from, but the people here on the ground are not feeling this in any way that is important as we are still struggling to feed ourselves and to heat our homes and the death-rate directly or indirectly due to hypothermia for our elderly people is now sitting at a high of around 31,000 a year.

See the ROB site thread for this subject HERE

Of course this truth is for the ordinary people in Britain as the people at the top end, that are well off, are protected from this unfairness.

As a wise man once said: "We have to walk for a few miles in the shoes of the stranger until we know his life !" or words to that effect.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:54 pm

I use a currency converter and probably know the gbp/usd daily conversion rate better than you do.
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253557408
    that lists parsnips at 1.49 gbp per kilo (2.2 pounds) which works out roughly to 67p per pound which is about $1 american per pound of parsnips. The grocery store here in town has parsnips for $5 (or 8gbp if you prefer) per 10 oz. That's 74p per oz so for the price of 2 oz of parsnips here I can get 2 kilos of them there. That's pretty much grocery prices across the board.
    As for wages, my husband hasn't had a rise in about 10 years or so, prices HAVE gone up the teeniest bit since then.
    Tuppence
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

There is another factor to consider, and that is Sales Tax. In Britain there is no Sales tax on foodstuffs bought fresh, but there is on takeaways.

When I lived on CT there was 8% sales tax on food, dunno what it is now.

Cheers, HG
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 8:08 pm

That varies by state (some have tax on everything BUT food) but ranges from 4% to 12%. Conn is now at 6.35%. I didn't wanna bring that up actually since it will make Paps go off on VAT and etc. Difficult enough to keep him on topic much less admit he's totally wrong about US food prices being lower than British. Oh well. I mean REALLY-who really WANTS to pay $5 for an American gallon of milk?
    Tuppence
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:33 pm

To be honest, I don't think there is too much difference between Food prices between Britain and the U.S. I found the differences were mainly in White goods and Electricals where we were paying the dollar price equated to the GBP, when the exchange rate was much better for us.

I think I explained that badly. I meant that Brits were paying 10GBP for something you would pay $10 for. Things like electricals, childrens' toys, leather goods, Furniture, etc. I priced up some Riding boots in a Country Store which (at the time) were $150, and the price in pounds was the same.

I did find that books seemed more expensive than here, yet U.S. Craft materials were cheaper. But in Britain Craft made items are not well thought of, which is a shame when you consider the skills required to hand-make a thing.

Cheers, HG
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

The key word is "was". That was mid-80s then? That's the only point where it ws pretty much one to one. It's at 1 gbp is equal to .61c at the current exchange rate, back in 1985 it was 1 gbp to $1.05 usd. Bit of difference there.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:27 am

A "gallon" of milk in Britain works out at about the same number of pounds as Dollars in the USA. ( One pound equals one Dollar ). And, before you say it, I know that is not the present exchange rate.

If the exchange rate is taken into account our milk is more expensive than America's is. ( Oh and BTW, we measure it in litres now, ( liters in America ).

Of course if you like to compare the cost of petrol or diesel in Britain as in America you will finds a massive difference in favour of America.

Just about half the price over there.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:27 pm