Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Shocking cost of Parking

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

The Shocking cost of Parking

Post by Technician on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 8:56 am

Hi All,

Over and above any arguments for a 'greener' Britain, and the war on the motorist, the fact is that many of us require our cars as a vital link to enable us to go about our daily lives.

The recent TV documentary on the Bristol parking wardens and the traffic congestion has prompted me to think about this issue. At present I am in dispute with my local council over a ticket issued to me while I was dealing with a medical emergncy the other week, and helping a friend with terminal cancer.

The ammount of proof I have had to provide to this greedy council to consider my challenge (two medical letters already, as they disputed it was an emergency, despite them having no medical knowledge! ) is beyond belief.

So all in all I am made to feel like a criminal and a liar, but to me its not the money, its the principal of the thing, so I will go all the way with this.

On top of this evidence has shown that parking charges in the UK are the highest in the world, and greedy councils, in a effort to fill coffers are using every trick in the book to extract money from the motorist.

One example is evening and Sunday parking. This was nearly always free until a year or two ago, but councils like Manchester now charge to park after 6pm and many charge an all day fee for Sunday ( even if you want to pop into a shop for 10 minutes ). This often makes it more expensive than the fee for the hour on other days.

As one well known commentator on motoring put it, Britains parking regime borders on criminal insanity. It is part of this countrys vindictive and all-pervading punishment culture.

The cost of parking forces people away from the High Street and into the arms of the big out-of-town supermarkets, with their giant, free car parks, and they wonder why the investment needed to renovate the high street (withover 40,000 empty shops in the UK) is as much as it was just after the second world war in terms of the work required!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12332
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The Shocking cost of Parking

Post by papa_umau on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

Well said Technician. A lot of great points there !

I too have always believed that the parking-charges enforcement is just another way to attack an already overburdened section of society.

The vehicle-owner has truly become a cash-cow to both local government AND central government as, as usual, they are a passive and easy target.

What with the cost of buying a car, fuelling a car, insuring a car, maintaining a car, paying Vehicle Excise Duty on a car, and paying through the nose to park a car, there is money going out of our pockets in numerous ways just so that we can get from A-to-B.

It would not be so bad if the public transport was a reasonable alternative in price or was comfortable, or was dependable but these services are also either too expensive or just not convenient for getting from A-to-B with either.

The latest attack of weekend and evening parking charges - as you rightly say - is not only ridiculous, but is a true attack on our ability to park during off-peak hours.

Of course you are also right that the draconian parking charges in town DO help to drive us out of the town and into the arms of the supermarkets. This is probably one of the greatest reasons why the centres in all of our towns and cities are now dying at a great rate.

Thank you once again Technician for your excellent and well thought out thread-start, and I hope that your fight with the council works out well for you.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 01 Dec 2013, 12:55 pm

Even although I do not have a car I am often taken around by my boyfriend, who has an old van. I do see how hard he finds it to get parked and I do know how much it costs as he often plunders my purse to pay for it.

I passed my driving test about a year ago and yet I cannot ever see me being able to buy and run my own car as the cost that has been highlighted above by Papa just makes it too far out of reach.

I often wonder why I feel so poor when I work full time as a teacher.

Can anyone explain this to me ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

I will try to explain it Angie.

Now that the government's draconian austerity polices are in full swing and the cost of living is continually rising and wages are mostly frozen, the pound in your pocket or purse is buying less and less.

This situation is hitting the bottom end of society the hardest but the middle of society is not getting way with anything either.

It is only the very rich who are getting the Tory tax breaks and who do not notice how prices are rising while wages are falling as they are rich enough to be protected from these now-common problems.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by Technician on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:29 am

Hi all,

Just an update regarding my fight with my council over this unfair parking ticket. They have finaly aknowledged that I had 'extenuating circumstances' when I had an emergency, and was helping a terminaly ill friend and forgot to display a residents parking permit, so I have nothing 'to pay'.

Don't get me wrong, not all tickets are worthy of being challenged or issed unfairly, but far too many people are prepared to sit back and take it when often they can challenge unfairness or draconian rules and regulations. The motorist is seen as a cash cow these days. You need to play these bu****s at their own game....Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:27 am

Great news Technician.

IT is always good to see an ordinary person getting a win against the rip-off merchants.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2580
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:15 pm

Hi there Technician.

You have touched a very raw nerve in me with that posting.

What I mean by that is that as a window-cleaner who works in and around towns and cities I have to park my van close enough to the shops and businesses that I get my work from.

As I carry quite a lot of equipment, including ladders and all of the other paraphernalia I need to clean and dry windows, including harnesses that I use to work on high-rise buildings, I need to be able to get as close as I can to these buildings.

Not if the local authorities have anything to say, I can't !

Sometimes I am lucky in that I can park in official car-parks, and that is a boon for me, but most of the time I have to park on the streets to be able to do my job. That is when things start to go wrong.

These over-enthusiastic parking wardens seem to have some kind of a radar working for them when I am about as they usually find me in about ten minutes and then they slap a ticket on my windscreen that I find when I come back from doing my job.

I tell you, that if I was to catch any of these b******s doing it I could not be held responsible for my actions.

In fact, I often wonder how these anti-parking people survive from one day to the next as there must be many people like me who really want to kill these parasites.

Thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest, as I feel much better now. Mad

As this is my mid-week day off, ( I work saturdays ), I can now get that bottle out and have a nice wee snifter.
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Parking

Post by Technician on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Hello Zath. You have my sympathy mate. I get very angry when folks need to go about their lawful duty to both provide services and earn a crust, and they get hounded by these parking parasites.

Its the same all over the country, and we have a situation of so called 'fines' out of all proportion to the so called 'infringements'. Its a blame culture central to this nasty little country, and an easy way to soak up the motorist as they are easy targets.

Many of the moronic jobsworth working in these enforcement dividsions, and so called 'planners,' are devoid of any compassion or understanding of the real issues as they sit behind thier desks in central heated offices. Full of crap about regulations and road traffic laws, but totaly devoid of any common sense.

Whenever possible they need to be challenged, and if more of us did that then they may wake up to the fact that the public are p***ed off with the constant regulations and rip off charges.

Technician
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2580
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

Hi Technician, it's nice to be online with you at the same time, as this is the only day that I have a bit of free time to spend to indulge in the internet.

Thanks for the support mate and I guess we could say that the support is mutual.

I find that if I try to take on the authority behind these parasites I usually lose as they depend on the high incomes that the parking enforcers bring to their coffers, and they do not want to give that up.

I think that you were lucky to be able to win one for the real people as the next time you try it you may find that common-sense does not prevail where these jobsworth's are concerned.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

Well said all. That's the spirit.

I only wish more people were as willing as you are to take them on as if there were more like us many of these entities would not even try it on at all.

It is an awful shame that legal aid is not available to anyone who has any small resources while the criminal recidivist wasters that tell them they have nothing get this help with legal fees every time.

The right to free legal representation should be available to everyone that is not earning at or over say 100,000 per annum.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:31 pm