Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Children in need.

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Children in need.

Post by hughh on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 1:16 pm

A good worth while cause to give to British Children in Need. I just wonder how many hard up pensioners gave money which they could ill afford because the program made them feel guilty by not doing so. Almost like being brain washed I switched off and the first and last time I will watch that program. Before any one says I am mean we donate to Doctor Barnardo (spelling) each month and I gave ten pounds to another worth while cause. We also support helicopter rescue.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Children in need.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

Yes Hughh, it is true that what with the Philippines disaster and the other charities that are always vying for our money we have to draw the line somewhere.

I too have three charities that I support every month by what is called monthly Gift Aid , whereby any money that I promise to send every month can be laid against tax for the charities concerned and they get a bit extra that way.

Because I have these three charities I do not give to any more as I simply could not afford to give to every good cause that is out there.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

I was reading that the Philippines disaster fund has raised 50 million so far, while the Save The Children charity raised about 30 million.

When we consider that both of these causes were running side by side at the same time, I think it is amazing that both of them did so well.

That says a lot for the people who just keep giving, especially when you consider the time of the year, with Christmas coming up fast.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm

AND..... I think you will find that the people that give the most are the people that have the least.

Even David Cameron knows about the penchant that the British have for giving aid for free and it was that ethos that drove him to think up his "Big Society".

I saw him pushing this one at a youth club on the telly yesterday where he was trying to encourage the young people to do more for no pay.

That would be fine if it was being done for the right reasons, but I do not think it was. I think that Cameron is pushing this idea because the more voluntary work that is done without pay the richer his friends in the privatised services-sector will get and the lesser amounts of money that his government secretaries will have to lay out for these services.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:52 pm

"Big Society" my arse !

All that is, is work done for nowt.

Anybody that is taken in by Cameron's Big Society is a mug of the highest calibre.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

To be honest no matter which party is in power they will all say the same thing but using different words. Cameron will remain in power if the recovery continues and unemployment carries on falling. Otherwise he will be out and BALL and the Blairites will me running things once again..
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

It may very well be a Labour government that "will be running things again", but it will NOT be anything like Blair's or Brown's or Ball's New-Labour government as the people of Britain are still smarting from that Toryesque government.

It will not matter how many positives Cameron can talk about either, before the next election, OR how many ways he will try to buy the vote, his Con-Dem coalition is already dead in the water and he knows it.

All it will take for the Tory/Liberal Democrat coalition to founder on the rocks will be for the people to REMEMBER.

I honestly hope that they do.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 12:55 pm

Myself I believe they will be in or out on their own, being with the Libs was a waste of time.

I would never vote labour while Ball's is there, I do not trust him. If he gets removed I would be more confident we have a future PM.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 30 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

As we both feel the very same way about Ed Balls, that is not an argument at all.

All I WILL say is that one rotten apple does not necessarily spoil the whole barrel, if it is taken out quickly enough. I am certain sure that Ed Miliband is just looking for the opportunity to do this if ever he can get away with it.

All that aside, I am also sure that there are enough true lefties in Ed Miliband's opposition for his next government to turn out nothing like Blair's government was. Ed knows that just putting up another New-Labour government would fail miserably and that is why he is not going to do it.

Yes, I think that the Tories will try to go it alone next time as their term with the Lib-Dem hangers-on has not done them any good what-so-ever.

I still cannot see enough of the Brits voting Tory for any new Tory government to rise out of the ashes of the old one, as they found it VERY hard to gather enough votes to form a government last time round for it to be any easier this time round.

I DO see a possibility of the Liberal Democrats joining with The Labourites next time as Labour has always been much closer in philosophy to the Liberal Democrats than the Tories have ever been.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm