Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Free Solar Panels

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Re: Free Solar Panels

Post by hughh on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

I wouldn't waste time getting in touch with a green energy company in your area. The extra electric you make which you get a set amount for will likely drop after Christmas.

Points to remember - 16 panels make up a full system which you get for FREE

Installing and all the fitting 7000 your company may be different.

Your roof doesn't need to be true south, facing East and West is ideal with 8 panelseach side.

They are fitting my system 2nd December.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

I guess the best we can do is wait until you get your system fitted and then you could write a review of the system and the company that does it in our new Reviews Forum, if you like.

There is no better advice than that which comes from a person who has experienced any service first hand.

Something for the ROB-users to look forward to I think.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:23 pm

WHERE IS THE CATCH as every one full knows the Tories do not give money away freely, and just why you must have more than 8 panels to get them free. The truth is they want the money back and at the same time meet green energy targets.

16 panels will create far more energy than a normal house will use. The extra electric the panels make will get fed back into the grid. For every pound they give me they will resell for a larger amount.

The company I am using only covers this area so you have to look for your own.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:06 pm

It is based on what is known as "micro-generation" where the people who can afford it install their own generation systems and add to the total of electricity that is generated. ( Selling back to the grid any unused power ).

If we are willing to spend the money, we can, 1 ). Install as big an array of photovoltaic panels as we can afford on the largest area of our roofs. 2 ). Install a micro wind turbine 3 ). Install an air or ground heat-pump, 4 ), Install a Stirling Engine instead of a combi-boiler. 5 ). Install a black-panel heat exchanger/gatherer to heat water directly on any area of our roof not using photovoltaic panels.

Of course, all of these micro-power generating systems cost a lot of money to install and before we got any of that money back they would need to be in use for many years.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:57 pm

Many schemes to create power but the best one for the likes of me is the solar panels. We have some money laid a side for a rainy day making nothing in interest. They are giving us 500 to display their company sign for 4 weeks and then over 500 savings on power. We also get a tax free income from the government for every unit of electric we make also a tax free income for every unit we feed back into the grid from the power company. So by leaving this in the bank we will only have to draw less than 6000 from our saving. When its been install I'll take a pic for every one to see.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Thanks for that Hughh.

If all goes well you may give the ROB-users a great deal of free advice about copying you in this - including me.

Let me wish you well, and I hope it all goes alright for you.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:53 pm

A week tomorrow it should be up and running and being the shortest days of the year will be interested to see how many units I make against use. Watch this space.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

I, for one, will be watching closely how it all works out for you.

Please keep the ROBsters informed of the good and the bad points about this work, as I am sure that we can all learn from your experiences in this project.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:48 pm

Every thing went to plan although we only have 7 panels each side no room for 8. All completed in one day. Although a rather over cast day we still managed to put 1.25 some thing or other back into the grid. We won't save much these very short days but every little helps.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

I was wondering if there was much upheaval while they were doing the job and if any damage was done at all ?

What was the final cost - out of your pocket - for you ?

I also think you will notice the power going into the grid in larger amounts once the sun begins to shine.

Your output to the grid will be measured in KWh units. ( Kilowatts per hour ).

Here is the formula that can be used to measure how efficient your panels are.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

The job was completed in one day with very little upheaval. Every thing was left clean and tidy all in 8 hours. Total cost to us 7o70 to be paid in one year. If there is any damage to the roof I will have to wait for some heavy rain to find out. The company giving us 800 to display their company sign on our fence

Some thing I didn't mention we get paid for electric the panels produces including the amount we have used.

Yesterdays reading was 1.25 on a dull over cast day. Today bright and sunny and at 1330 the reading was 3.30 and increase of 2,05 so far. I will give a final reading later.

If you have a full system of 16 panels you will get more of course. I'll give you readings each day for the next week.

The money we are forking out not making much interest so it is sensible to use it and replace it as we save on energy.

2 day reading 3.68
    3rd December 1.25 weather overcast
    3th December 2.43 sunny

Last edited by hughh on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : up date)
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:21 am

Thanks for that Hughh.

When you said:

Some thing I didn't mention we get paid for electric the panels produces including the amount we have used.
    You were telling of what is called the government "feed-in tariff".

This is the part that the company that offers the free solar panels would have taken each month.

As you paid for the whole installation you get to keep the value of ALL of the electricity produced, including the feed-in-tariff amount.

Have you tried to find how long it will take to get your money back ?

It is that long wait that is stopping me from paying for the whole installation as I would not have actually received any net monetary benefit until after about ten years.

What I mean by that is that 7,000+ would buy a lot of electricity if you had not spent it on the installation.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 3:13 pm

Should be less than ten years but with power rising each year it really is hard to say. Its money set a side for a rainy day and would have ended up going to my two sons. They will get the full benefit of this investment. I will have a better idea after 3 months when I put my first reading in, also how much my monthly energy bill drops. At the moment money in the banks making very little interest so I have nothing to lose and every thing to gain.

No sun again today so the panels made 1.26

Last edited by hughh on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : up date)
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

I suppose that is good sense Hughh, when the miserable rates of interest that the banks pay to savers these days is not worth leaving your money in there for.

You are dead right that energy costs are never going to get any less and over the long term the electricity that your photovoltaic panels generate will produce a better net dividend than leaving the money in the bank might.

With that to mind, I might even give the idea further thought of doing it myself as one side of my home faces South and gets the sun all day. ( Of course that means that the other side faces North and never gets the sun ).

The other problem with my home is that it is a semi-detached villa and with only half of the south-facing roof available for a total of eight panels.

Still worth thinking again about though.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm

8 panels facing true south Papa must produce as much as mine which only 7 panels face the sun at any one time so really worth thinking about, and it should be cheaper. Cost nothing for a quote.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm

You have just about persuaded me to go ahead with it, but sadly I have another priority that has to come first:

I have a leaky garage roof, ( that leaks powdery - and probably asbestos-contamionated - water onto my brand new car ), and a clunky up-and-over garage door that needs replacing before I get any photovoltaic panels put on my main roof.

Maybe before the next winter, ( 2014 ), I will be able to consider this expensive work more favourably. Sad

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 12:55 pm

Brand new car very nice, mines a 2001 Skoda estate which we have had from new. Only got 43000 on the clock.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm

You two are lucky as I have been trying to save up for a car for years and as these years go by a car gets further and further away from me.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:38 pm

To be honest Angie if it wasn't my trips to the golf course I would get rid of the car and take a taxi to Tesco each week. Buying the car is the cheapest part, keeping one on the road is quite expensive.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

Just a final update on this subject, I have taken readings over the last six days and the systems making on average 2.0 per day. Shortest days and very little sun shine I am quite happy with the results.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm

I guess you will not know how efficient it is until you have a whole year including a sunny summer to review it over.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:40 pm

I think it should average out at around 5 kw a day I will keep you inform Papa. The pay in tariff 15p a kw not much but every little helps.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:01 pm

Thanks Hughh !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content