Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The cost of Car Keys

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

The cost of Car Keys

Post by Technician on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:57 am

Hi all,

This may not be news to some, but its a reminder NOT to loose your car keys. I am aware that most modern keys are 'chipped' as part of the war against theft, but how much do both the 'chips' and the keys actually cost?

I was at a dinner the other night and lost my keys ( car, house and motorcycle !! ). Fortunately at the hotel I was at they found them and I have them back. In the interim, after frantic searches I got quotes for a new car key ( fourtunately I had a spare at home ). I have not got some exotic make, just a Vauxhall. The quotes for my model ranged from 60 to 150 !!....Just for a ruddy KEY.

Considering such a price differential it seems to me that the manufacturers are on to a nice little earner at our expense. Just another example of stupid pricing for an essential, but vital item which must cost just a few pounds to make.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The cost of Car Keys

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

On behalf of all of the ROB members and users may I thank you for that great threadstart-posting Technician. This is one that I have not heard of for a very long time.

I agree that because modern car-keys are now very complex, with the physical cutting of each key-style very different from other styles and many are types of keys that are based around a computer programme that is difficult to repeat, ( good security for your car ), this means that all car keys are essentially different to each other, even within the same make, model and year.

Considering that, I agree that while to get the official key replaced is difficult and can often be very expensive, they should not be as expensive as they are from the dealer.

Because of this a number of key-cutting companies are offering cheap versions of compatible keys, ( a bit like compatible ink cartridges, for example ), including the transponder chip, and the programming, so long as you have another key, ( your spare ), with which to read the programme from. ( Some even promise a replacement key from just the make, model, and year of the car, but I wonder if this is even possible from any third-party suppliers ).

In the high street, Timpsons comes immediately to mind, but many more can be found on the internet.

One that also springs to mind is the Master Locksmith Association.

While many such keys can be quickly cut just from the physical pattern provided from your spare key, the more modern of electronic transponder types are not so easily sourced/copied, and that is one main reason why the manufacturers can charge so much.

While this is not right, it does follow from the value that "rarity always brings high cost".

If any of the other users of ROB have any experiences on this subject we would be pleased to hear them.

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm

Thanks guys. Although I do not have a car yet, I think that I will let my partner read this posting as he is forever losing his car keys.

I have to say, ( typical wumman I guess Twisted Evil ), that I did not know that modern car keys were so complex.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:44 am

Wait until you have a look into the engine compartment of a modern car. When you do you will get a shock, as there is now so little space to get around all of the latest electronics on modern cars, it is a wonder how they shoehorn the engine into the car at all.

Of course this makes working on the car by a handy-boy extremely difficult.

I used to be able to take engines out of cars, take them to bits, work on the clutch components, the valves, pistons and camshafts, et-al, and re-do the static and dynamic timing of petrol engines, but nowadays I have no clue about where to start.

What is worse is now that we find do-it-yourself work on our cars is very difficult we have to put them into the correct garages to get work done, and that can cost twenty pounds or more an hour.

Yes Angie, the times certainly have changed.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:19 pm