Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Gas prices rising faster than Europe.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12192
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Gas prices rising faster than Europe.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 11:41 am

We have to take what the energy companies say with a large pinch of salt as they are driven by their bottom line and their shareholders dividends rather than any desire to be fair to the consumers.

THAT.... is why we need regulations and watchdogs that have the teeth with which to enforce these regulations, as if we did not, under a government like the Tory coalition, these companies would simply please themselves about how much profit they make and about how many people they hurt via their crazy price rises.

I am not against the free-market system so long as it is regulated correctly, but even although I have always thought that the essential services should never be in the free and open per-view of the profiteers, it should still be fully regulated, if it is.

What has come out of the latest row over the massive rises that these companies continue to get away with is why Cameron has promised to cut back on green taxation and why Miliband has promised to freeze the profits of the energy companies until 2017.

Both of these leaders recognise that what is happening is wrong but they have very different ways of trying to tackle it.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:18 pm

We have to take what the energy companies say with a large pinch of salt as they are driven by their bottom line and their shareholders dividends rather than any desire to be fair to the consumers. I like to stay clear of the subject of share holders as we are all share holders one way or another. Savings, Pension funds and so on are all made up with interest from shares. New power stations are required and the money got to come from some where and general taxation the best option where the rich pay the most. Green tax on our energy bills is wrong.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

I am not going to argue with any of that statement as I agree with all of it, although many of the shareholders that you speak of are the corporate shareholders that have most if not all of the control of the energy companies.

New power stations do need to be built, but what form they take and who owns them will be decided upon by the government in power at the time.

At the moment Cameron is playing nice with the Chinese and the French as the Chinese are willing to put the cash in up front and the French company, EDF, are also willing to help with the cost of building and the design of these new nuclear power stations.

Before any of them are willing to commit to this they want a guaranteed income from these plants for the forseeable future. A figure of DOUBLE what the other nuclear power station owners are getting at the moment has been mooted.

Around eleven such plants are already under plans to be built in Britain and if they are all build under these conditions we are are going to be in serious hock to the Chinese and the French for a very long time afterwards.

Being an environmentalist and a conservationist I am not even sure if Nuclear IS the way to go in a clean-energy future for Britain.

The Green party members are sure that this is not the way to go.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

I cannot agree or disagree with your last statement I just have very mixed feeling about the whole situation. I would like to see us go completely green if it was at all possible.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:56 pm

Yes Hughh, and I think we will probably go down that path when all of the other paths have been closed off.

The problem is that the people who control the fossil-fuels are very powerful and they can control governments if they choose to do so.

Eventually we are going to see the renewables being solely used to generate the power that we need, but this is going to take a very long time to come about.

The greatest of the renewables is the element hydrogen as it is the most abundant element in the universe and it is fairly easy to make from the massive amounts of water we have in our oceans.

Not until this "hydrogen revolution" has been started will we see truly clean and limitless energy, but in the meantime the oil and gas giants are going to put up a big fight to keep their dirty products in use and their riches flowing.

HERE ( in PDF form ) and HERE are just two sites that explain how we can use hydrogen in the future of world energy.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:13 am