Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Gas prices rising faster than Europe.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Gas prices rising faster than Europe.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:10 pm

New research has shown that gas prices in the UK have risen by almost 200 per cent in the past decade, faster than anywhere else in Europe. The smallest in Europe was Denmark with a rise of just 40 per cent during this period.

This makes Britain second only to Estonia for customers struggling to pay their energy bills.

Shadow Energy Secretary Caroline Flint said: These figures lay bare the full scale of the cost of living crisis facing Britain. David Camerons failure to stand up to energy companies is leaving people massively out of pocket and its no good him blaming world prices when bills are rising faster here than in Europe.

Bosses of the big six are to be called before the Commons Energy Committee on Tuesday to explain.

As I see it, this new information makes a nonsense of the argument that it is the cost of bulk gas that has triggered these large rises, as surely all of the other states in Europe are buying their gas at the same prices as we are.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Gas prices

Post by Technician on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:13 pm

Hi All,

Again Paps, quite correct. The reason for this is pure and simple GREED, and the fact that they can continue to get awy with it in this God forsaken country of ours. Nothing will change until the populace rise up against these fat cats in the energy industry....Keep squeezing and it will happen.

Technician
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Re: Gas prices rising faster than Europe.

Post by hughh on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

Yes Tories will have to get energy prices down, because its becoming a big election issue.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

Technician wrote:Hi All,

Again Paps, quite correct. The reason for this is pure and simple GREED, and the fact that they can continue to get awy with it in this God forsaken country of ours. Nothing will change until the populace rise up against these fat cats in the energy industry....Keep squeezing and it will happen.

Technician
    Yes Technician, there is bound to come a time when the people of Britain have finally had enough. It happened a few years ago with the fuel-price-escalator when the farmers and the truckers led a go-slow right across the country and they gave the government a shock. Maybe it is time that something similar was to happen again.

hughh wrote:Yes Tories will have to get energy prices down, because its becoming a big election issue.
    Glad you think that Hughh as the trouble is that the British electorate have short memories when it actually comes to vote down any such government.

In any case, I honestly cannot see Cameron and Osborne going against their friends in the privatised energy sector, can you ?

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

Technician who ever comes up with the best energy policy more than likely win the next election. What you could say is an hot potato.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

No other party or government have come up with a deal better than the one that Ed Miliband promised at the Labour conference of freezing the price of energy for two years and up until 2017.

That offer will be hard to beat.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 6:08 pm

It would be interesting to know what we are paying for our energy compared to other EU countries.
    Percentage rises doesn't give us a true picture.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

It would be extremely difficult to supply that kind of information because each state has different tariffs and costs - just as Britain does - and the only way we can compare state with state is by knowing the percentage amounts their prices have gone up to their consumers as opposed to ours.

I find it amazing that our prices are the highest percentage amounts in "Europe",( not just the EU ), when their retail energy suppliers have to pay the same price for their wholesale gas and electricity as ours do.

Something smells very bad here and it is almost as if the British energy companies think we in Britain are gullible mugs that can be screwed with as much and as often as they think they can get away with.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:06 pm

Talking percentages never gives a true picture its very miss leading. Its very much like giving every one a 1% pay rise. The larger your hourly rate the bigger your pay rise. For every 100 you earn you get 1.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:14 am

Yes Hughh, I do see what you are getting at, and you are right about that, but, when we are comparing COUNTRIES we have to compare average prices in order to get a fairly accurate idea about the differences between these countries.

By comparing across the board how prices rise by and the across the board cost for buying wholesale energy we find out how much more we pay - in general - in retail costs than the European countries pay.

The difference between the wholesale cost and the retail cost is the general profits that each company in each country makes.

If the independent people who report these comparisons did not think that they might be accurate enough they would not do it.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

COUNTRIES we have to compare average prices in order to get a fairly accurate idea about the differences between these countries.

I don't know what we have been paying compared other EU countries.
    I hope the enquiries that's going on at the moment will shed light on this subject. I agree with every one the price we are paying for energy is far too high. Removing green taxes from our bill would make a good start.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

The cost of living is rising faster in the UK than anywhere in Europe, with soaring food and energy bills blamed.

Inflation in the UK in was 2.7%, highest than in the whole of the EU
    Followed by Estonia (2.6%), the Netherlands (2.4%), Finland (2.4)

In UK food bills are up 4.3% energy is up 3.4%, according to Eurostat

Read THIS from the usually Tory-supporting Daily Mail.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

Thankfully I don't live in an area where cost of living is so high. In fact shop around in our local area and food prices have gone down. 2Ltrs semi skimmed milk 75p today loaf of thick sliced bread also 75p. These were from a local shop, not Tesco. Switching power company through Witch Switch as also saved me quite a lot of money. But pleased to see Eds having a good go Cameron over this matter.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

You are lucky if you can find your groceries cheaper in a local shop as most small in-town single shops are much more expensive than the likes of the Aldi and Lidl supermarkets are. ( The big six or seven are something else altogether ).

These "corner-shops" type of businesses often CAN compete by buying in bulk as part of a group like NISA, Costcutter, Day-Today, and a few others, as these are organised by usually Pakistani or Indian groups that can compete because of the co-operative way that they work.

Again the problem with switching energy suppliers is that soon after you have done a switch they all price-match so as not to compete with each other; which makes your switching efforts not worth the bother.

There is a big enquiry going on in the Tory government annals in order to try to look into these habits so that they can then say that they are doing something that might compare with Ed Miliband's promise to freeze energy prices when they get elected.

I do not plan to hold my breath waiting for the Tories to tighten up regulations in the energy private sector, as they always work hard to try to make life easier, not harder, for their privateer pals.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 3:12 pm

Again the problem with switching energy suppliers is that soon after you have done a switch they all price-match so as not to compete with each other; which makes your switching efforts not worth the bother

That's what happened to me the last time I changed, this time I made sure it was for a fixed term. On the same subject I make sure online that I am not building up a debt. or paying to much because my money should be in my account not theirs.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Nov 2013, 11:39 am

Quite right Hughh, as that is the only way that any energy-market consumer can offset the price-matching changes that they make. The only thing wrong with fixed deals is that they are usually more expensive to begin with.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 03 Nov 2013, 12:56 pm

Quite right what you say Papa but I am saving quite a lot on my energy bill. To make sure I have not been conned I keep a close eye on my account, and feed in metre reading online regularly to ensure I do not build up a balance or debit. So easy not to pay enough and then owe a large amount at the end of the year.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Yes, we agree wholeheartedly on this subject Hughh, as I too changed from The Scottish Hydro Board, ( SSE ), to British, ( Scottish Gas ), in a duel-fuel deal that I keep tight by sending readings in online every month.

I have to admit though, that many of the so-called competitors in the energy market have gone up in a tit-for-tat manner since then, including SSE. ( I am now on a fixed rate tariff ), but I do not know if I am going to save in the long run as it is around a fifth more expensive than the lowest rated tariffs in SSE and the other companies are.

You are right that something needs to be done by some government to ensure that these rip-off-merchants are stopped doing what they do.

If all else fails we will get a freeze in energy prices from 2015 to 2017 if Labour get in next time round. Laughing

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 03 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

Not convinced myself that the freeze will work, but some thing must be done to bring down and hold down energy prices. I read or heard some where that coal burning power stations could be opened again because they have the means of filtering out pollution.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:22 am

Two points about what you say Hughh:

1 ).The weakness with a two year freeze is that before the freeze comes into play and while the Tories are still in charge the energy companies are liable to bang up their prices with impunity to the levels that they may have raised them if a freeze had not been in place.

And...After the freeze is over, and hopefully Labour is in power, they are going to have to stop them raising their prices again too much after the freeze. ( Price controls ).

2 ). While it is true that the "filtering out of pollution", better known as "carbon capture and storage" is a possibility with coal burning, even although we have been researching this technology in Scotland for some time at Longannet power-station, it has been found that the building and running of this technology is extremely expensive.

No, I still feel that the best way froward for the future is by harnessing all of the best renewables systems, ( not just windmills ), and moving away from all of the fossil-fuels completely.

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm

With energy being such a big issue I think they will have to rethink the green energy tax and place it in the general taxation where the rich will pay more. It wouldn't be a bad idea to also reduce VAT on energy.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

Again, I agree Hughh, but can we trust the Tories to actually do this, even if they are talking about exactly that at the moment ?

This would be another loss of income for the Inland Revenue.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

I don't believe this subject been brought up by the Tories yet but its being forced on them by the energy companies. They feel its unfair of them to take all the blame on the energy prices.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

Cameron himself introduced this idea when he was taken aback by Ed Miliband's promise to "freeze energy bills".

HERE is a link to this promise.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 3:11 pm

Yes but energy companies disagree, they say investment money is needed and should not be rolled back but should come out of general taxation which the rich will pay more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:30 pm