Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Food waste still as high as ever.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Food waste still as high as ever.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:54 am

It does not seem that all of the pressure that is on the supermarkets and the consumers to waste less food is having much of an effect as it was admitted by Tesco recently that half of their bread is either thrown away in-store or is not properly consumed by their customers.

A quarter of grapes supplied to the supermarket giant were never eaten, along with 40 per cent of apples and 20 per cent of bananas. And 68 per cent of bagged salad never made it to the plate, with roughly a third of the total being thrown away in-store and the rest at home.

Read more on this HERE.

As I try hard to keep up with what goes on in the British market-place and I do watch the trends on the high-street and in the supermarkets, I am often shocked at the waste that is still to be found in Britain while there are many millions of people around the world, ( especially children ), in need of a clean drink of water and a tiny amount of the most basic of foods in order to survive.

Maybe a start would be for the supermarkets to send more of their sell-by dated foodstuffs to our own food-banks and bread-lines so that at least our own hard-up consumers might get some benefit out of it.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Food waste

Post by Technician on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

Hi all,

So very true Paps. These two for one offers only contribute to the problem. There are a number of issues with this. Primarily its greed and money making on the backs of the consumer by these big supermarkets.

Strategy is to squeeze as much money ( and information ) out of you as possible. There is nothing wrong with making a fair return, but as we have seen in the energy market it a rip off of gigantic proportions, and Joe public often does not see this.
    The likes of Aldi and Lidl CAN reduce prices ( by the way I am not saying these firms are faultless regarding waste ), but if you can turn over more goods at a reasonable price it makes sense.

The other issue is ones lifestyle. Its all too easy to get ready meals and 'packets', but they all work out vastly more expensive in the long run...but again, with peoples busy and hectic working lives some may have little option.

On top of this some people can not cook and have no idea about basic nutrition. ( my sister in law is so ruddy bad she can burn water !!). The supermarkets feed on this ignorance.

Packet salad has come in for some stick, but its about 2/3 cheaper to buy a fresh lettuce ( which keeps better) and use the leaves as and when.

In my humble oppinion a lot of the 'fresh veg and fruit' in the main supermarkets is crap and does not last. In my experience ASDA is the worse, and I will NEVER buy at Sainsbury due to their inflated mark ups...I also hold no loyalty cards as I do not intend to disclose my buying habits to these large corporations.

I suppose the answer is to grow you own ( you can in pots ) and buy as and when you need the food if possible.

Technican
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Food waste still as high as ever.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

Yes Technician, there are lots of things that we COULD do to help to sort out this problem but as you already said, this fast life for most of us does not encourage us to cook from basics or to be more careful about how we buy our perishables.

Another trick that the the pre-packaged food makers do is to put a gas into packages of fresh fruit and vegetables to keep them from spoiling too quickly but as soon as we open these packages and release this inert gas the food spoils all the faster.

I also often look at the end-of-sell-by-date sections where their food is reduced to sell faster, but I think that they could do more than just take a few pence off these goods - as they do - so that the poorer buyers could get cheap food at a more affordable price. To do this they would need to drop the original price by half to encourage the struggling folk to actually buy it.

Of course what stops this idea is the thought that many types of customers would take the half-priced food from this area and that would stop us buying the products at the full price elsewhere in the shop.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Astute thinking Paps.

In fact I don't even know how the supermarkets can make any money when they throw away so much of their unsold fruit and vegetables.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:30 pm