Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

This didn't take Royal Mail long !

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

This didn't take Royal Mail long !

Post by Technician on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

Hi All

Well it was inevitable with privatisation, but here are comments made by Royal mails Chief Exec:

The boss of Royal Mail paved the way for increases to the price of first-class stamps on Tuesday as the newly-privatised company's soaring shares valued it at nearly 5bn.

Moya Greene said the postal operator's products were cheaply priced compared to many European rivals and that the company would need to be competitive.

"We are very proud of the value that we provide for 60p, but we also know that in that field, where we have structural decline on the letters side, we have to be very careful about pricing," she said. "We are very pleased that if you compare our prices to other countries in the European Union, if you look in various weight categories between zero and 100g, we are at the low to middle of the spectrum.

'We didn't raise stamp prices last year... The average UK household spends 50p each week on stamps. We have to price only for the value that we deliver."

Under a deal with Ofcom, the industry regulator, Royal Mail has the freedom to set the price of first-class stamps until 2019 while second-class stamp prices remain tightly-constrained.

So there you have it. I don't think one needs to be clairvayant to see what will happen...Welcome to 'Privatised' Britain

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: This didn't take Royal Mail long !

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Well said Technician.

I am sure that those of us that know what is happening here also know that it would be a dead cert that once the privateers had their greedy mits on the Royal Mail they would put up the prices for standard mail-traffic .

I expect the one pound first class letter to be introduced as soon as they think they can get away with it.

Of course, because they have the monopoly on domestic mail and they do not have any other companies to compete against there is going to be no resistance to this happening.

The Con-Dem government are also certainly not going to do anything to stop this either as they do not want to fall out with the great friends of theirs that bought the Royal Mail for a song anyway.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

Well, I guess we asked for it didn't we ?

I am sure that if enough Brits were against this privatisation it would have been stopped early on. We said very little and now it is gone, never to return to the public purse.

Mind you, I was reading somewhere that Alex Salmond was saying that if Scotland gets independence he will immediately re-nationalise the Scottish end of Royal Mail.

I don't know if I believe him as I wonder where he will get the money to do this.
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Some information.

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 12:58 pm

It was reported today that a probe has been called by The National Audit Office into a value for money assessment of the government's sale of Royal Mail.

This move, from the spending watchdog, comes after a continuing row over whether Royal Mail was sold off too cheaply.

The NAO said: "Our examination will cover the issues of how the price range for the initial public offering was set and the discussion of possible revisions to the range.

Personally, I cannot see how they can do anything to fix this mistake at this late date.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:55 am

Yes, it was sold of for around three billion pounds and it is already worth more than ten billion pounds.

If Business Secretary and Lib-Dem member of the coalition, Vince Cable, did not know this was liable to happen before he sold off the Royal Mail in a bargain basement sale he should now consider his position and resign.

If he did I am sure that the Tories would find a job for him stuffing envelopes somewhere.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:51 am