Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are we making our children into consumerism slaves ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are we making our children into consumerism slaves ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

As we see day after day how more and younger and younger children are being immersed into the consumerism that plagues all of us, I have to ask: Are we guilty of also letting this happen to our children by pandering to the "I want" pressures that they now expertly lay on us ?

HERE is an article in the online Daily Telegraph that suggests just this.

Do any of you agree that we are to blame for this modern view of consumerism, or is it the people who target our kids with heavy advertising that are causing this phenomenon ?

Opinions please.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Re: Are we making our children into consumerism slaves ?

Post by hughh on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 5:08 pm

Without reading the article our children have been targeted for many years. Only got to go into any supermarket and sweets are always in the check out area. Free games on the computer for children have add on's which cost money.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:41 am

Yes, not surprisingly I have to agree on that.

I have always said that the advertisers, ( the marketing men/women ), have actually been targetting our children much too hard for much too long and while we - as parents and grandparents - must take some of the blame for how much consumerism has hit our children, as we are also responsible for allowing the marketeers to specifically and cynically target our children too, it is these marketeers that have to take most of this blame.

I know it is difficult to always avert their eyes from marketing ploys but I do think that we often take the easy-out by just looking for peace when our kids do the "I want" blackmail thing.

There is nothing harder to resist than an ankle-biter tugging on our jackets or skirts while using the pleading "please, please please" argument. After all it was us that taught them that word and we should not be surprised when they use it to their own best advantage.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Children and consumerism

Post by Technician on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

Hi all,

A very astute observation. This is a growing problem in a 'materialistic' world. The other day my nephew informs me that for Xmas he wants a new 'i phone' as all his mates have the latest ones. (he's 14)

Now, I am not a technology moron, but what is a phone for ?. To talk to people!!, But no, he must have all the latest 'apps' and bells and whistles. What is wrong with a bog basic mobile ?. The findamental root of this problem is the growth of Globalisation and multinational markets, and their powerful advertising hypes.

As you point out Paps, I do get about a bit, and on my travels in this world I find more and more the growth of these 'world brands'

Products are becoming 'all the same'. In Budapest I was confroned by an 'Apple store', Mc Donalds, the largest 'Burger King' in Europe and Subway all over the ruddy place. National prides and identities are being drowned by global market consumerism...Kids and adults are taken in by this crap.

Same as 'designer' labels. My other nephew ( he's 18) turns his face up at 'trainers' which do not have designer branded logo's on them, and his mum and dad pander to him !. He knows that if he comes to me he is more likeley to get a kick up the a*se!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:17 am

Yes Technician, "globalisation" and the rise and rise of the international companies is what is putting the world's consumers under terrible pressure to "live like the Joneses".

I feel that because of this pressure and the ever-increasing cost of living here in Britain along with the frozen or very slowly rising wages this is forcing poverty on us that we should be able to handle but can not.

I also feel that the extra pressure our children are under by the cynical application of marketing is going to ensure that the next generation are just as captured by consumerism as we are.

I cannot see any way out of this syndrome as the global super-companies have many billions of Pounds and Dollars and Euros to spend on this marketing attack.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:41 pm