Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Self-scanners in supermarkets etc'.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Self-scanners in supermarkets etc'.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm

Hi guys n' gals.

I have always been resistant to the use of self-scanners in shops as I don't feel that the customers should be doing the work of a sales assistant while they do these sales assistants out of a job and increase the profits of these shops at the same time.

Now we are seeing a whole new kind of a fraud that is growing apace by the use of these scanners.

Reported in my Sunday newspaper today was the incidence of an increasing number of people scanning loose items of fruit and veg as more valuable items and getting away with it because there are just not enough people employed to check what goes on in self-scanning stations.

This may be just another modern way to defraud the supermarkets that they are going to have to get around by employing more security staff in order to ensure that this fraud does not occur.

Of course, if they do then the loss of a checkout person on normal checkouts will then be replaced by extra security staff and the supermarkets will have gained nothing.

What do you peeps think about this ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Self-scanners in supermarkets etc'.

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:42 am

I won't use the self serve checkouts. With my technophobic tendencies, I prefer to have somebody to help me through it.

Luddite and proud of it,

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:50 am

Yeah, me too HG, except in my case it is because I do not want to be trained up to work their self-scanning machines when doing so means that I have no sales assistant to talk to.

I in fact love such electronicky things, but I just refuse to use them if I am going to do someone out of a job by doing it.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

I don't do much food shopping as that is the wife's job, but I have come across these bloody things in B & Q.

I found it a bit daft that they have two sales assistants on duty helping people to use those damned things while they only have one checkout where a real person is serving.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

Yes Zath', it seems like a case of false economy when they do that.

They would be far better manning two proper checkouts with those "helpers" than paying them to try to coerce us into using the robots to get our stuff checked and paid for.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Supermarket scanners

Post by Technician on Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:23 am

Good points.

I avoid using the bl***y things at all costs. Asda near us have replaced almost half the checkouts with these monstrosities. They try to tell us that shoppers want them. All they do is cut back on staff and de-skill workers. Notice how they have to have a member of staff man them as most people get mixed up using the damn things.

I don't use Asda if at all possible as I think their produce is crap. I use them even less now, and other supermarkets that employ them.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

Well said Technician.

I wish that all shoppers were as discriminating as you are as if they were these supermarkets would stop making us into checkout operators so that they can make more money off our backs.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

Technophobe that I am-I love the self checkouts. At least then I KNOW the checker isn't ripping me off by double scanning anything and it happens a LOT here. Plus I know my bread isn't under the cat litter nor are the eggs.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 12:18 pm

Yes Tupps, I can see that argument too, but I think that if we stop for a second and check the readout-slip/receipt that we get from manned checkouts these careless or even crooked operators will not get away with what you suggest.

As far as: "Plus I know my bread isn't under the cat litter nor are the eggs". comment is concerned, I do not know how this is effected at manual or self-service checkouts, as we always fill our own trolleys in supermarkets and put the items into our own bags - or back into the trolleys - after they have been scanned, in Britain.

In fact I cannot see any real value being made out of self-service checkouts as all we are doing there is replacing a proper checkout operator and doing their work for them.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

I think one of the big differences is in HOW we shop. At least insofar as checking the reciept. I may have 300-400 items in my trolley for the monthly shop. I don't do a daily shop and haven't since we left Manhattan, gods do I miss that. The lines with checkers have baggers (which is yet another job opening).Self serve is self bag and that's what I said. The main point i have is I PREFER to self checkout because they pay minimum wage for unskilled people to check my groceries, most of whom have the IQ and common sense of a cabbage, which is WHY the only job open to them is checking groceries. I know how I like my groceries bagged and prefer to do it, it's quicker, I know I
    m charged for what I buy and I know I won't get home with only 32 eggs out of the 5 dozen I bought.
    Tuppence
    PS Don't call me Tupps
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

I guess that we are quite different in Britain to how you do it in America Anne.

When we are pressurised into scanning and packing our own stuff in British supermarkets we do not get any help when doing it.

Mind you, at the staff-operated checkouts we are usually given the choice whether we get help with the packing of our scanned stuff. Very few Brits actually take them up on this offer.

I still think that many shoppers would STILL prefer that the scanning is done by a shop-worker than to have to do it themselves as that then releases more time to ensure that the items are not scanned more than once and that they are packed in plastic bags, ( which we are quickly doing away with this side of the pond ), or into the carts again, as more and more are now doing.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

Myself and many others will never use a self scanning it concerns many of us, if we should miss scanning an item we could get done for shop lifting.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

Yes, and that is why some people are now actually deliberately doing it - as reported above in this thread.

These self-scanning machines are wide open for people to misuse and now the supermarkets are putting extra staff on to ensure that people do not deliberately try to fiddle these machines. Of course this makes a nonsense of them trying to save wages by having to pay for staff to overlook the self-scanners.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

If they are creating more employment not so bad after all, but then they will put up prices to cover the extra cost.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 11:32 am

Yes, the "creating employment" dogma that always comes from the Tories might be true - to an extent -, but I have to ask, what kind of jobs are these that the Tories are creating ?

So far, it has mostly been either temporary, part-time, or very low-paid jobs that have been created by the Tories, and these jobs just help to maintain the underclass that is bolstering these misleading figures.

The whole point in this thread is that if jobs are being created they should be for properly-trained checkout operators and not just for people off the street that can be lifted and laid on "zero-hour" contracts.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:28 pm