Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Rising price of food

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Rising price of food

Post by Technician on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm

Hi All,

I suppose this is nothong new, but needs keeping at the forefront of our thinking. Which? have done a recent survey on this, finding that almost eight in 10 shoppers (78%) are worried about the increasing cost of food, with almost half (45%) spending a larger proportion of their available income at the supermarket compared to a year ago, in a survey of 2,028 consumers.

Supermarkets try to con us that they are providing 'value for money' and helping the consumer. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are ruthless mega corporations where everything is costed and reveiwed to the letter to maximise income. I think I am normaly savvy with the shopping, and where possible use the cheaper options such as Lidl and Aldi. How much is it a coincidence that LORD Sainsbury owns the supermarket with the highest prices?

Point was, today I was in a rush and got some Garlic baggettes in Morrisons ( 2 for 1.88 ). Imagine my horror when entering Aldi later in the day I could have bought one garlic baggette for 34p!!!, and that's just ONE example of price differences, so someone is raking it in!!!

The Which poll found 60% are worried about how they will manage their future spending on groceries if prices continue to rise. hence the growth of 'food banks'. The figures speak for themselves:

The highest number using food banks in 2009 was reported as 40,898!
    This increased to 87,799 in 2010-201!
    This increased to 128,697 in 2012-13
    People currently receiving help has now reportedly almost tripled in less than a single year to nearly 350,000!

Well, don't worry as Dave tells us we are all in it together!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Rising price of food

Post by papa_umau on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

An excellent threadstarter Technician, and one very close to my own heart.

Of course the big five - or six - supermarkets are not actually trying to keep prices down as it is their bottom line and their shareholders' dividends that drives their passion and not the desire to provide us with cheap food.

I only wish more consumers out there knew this.

The only REAL competition to the big six comes from the likes of - as you already said and as I have been saying for years - from German supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl and many of the other Pakistani owned groups of minimarkets like NISA and others.

The only way the big six are superior to these markets is in choice, as the budget supermarkets are just too small to carry the same amount and range of stock as the big six do.

On this subject:

An Oxfam research team has found that due to climate change ( ruined harvests with extreme weather ), high population growth and the ever-increasing cost of moving food around, that across the world, and only in a few years, food quality will drop and with the scarceness that will result, the cost of food is set to double.

I wonder what the big six supermarkets and the carenought governments are going to do about that ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:53 am

Costs keep rising including food costs and energy costs and motoring costs and clothes-buying costs but wages stay where they are.

That, to me, is a recipe for destruction.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

With you all the way on that one Zath'.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content