Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Plastic carrier bags

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Plastic carrier bags

Post by hughh on Thu 19 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm

Do you agree with charging 5p for a carrier bag. I would go one step further and ban them altogether. Seeing what damage they do to marine life you would agree with be. On one dive I stopped a large turtle eating a plastic bag which it thought was a jelly fish.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Plastic carrier bags

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:00 pm

I have mixed feelings about this one as on the one hand, while both the wife and I - as naturalists and conservationists - have not used plastic bags for many years, for exactly your argument - and others - I don't like to see supermarkets and other big stores profiting from this policy.

If they promise to send ALL of the money that is raised via this charge to nature-based charities than I would be all for it.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:32 pm

We are like you Papa always take our own bags to the supermarket. Tesco encourage this by giving points for each of your own bags used. Customers will soon learn to take their own bags shopping.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

We have done it for years by the use of folding plastic crates where we take the supermarket trolly full of stuff to the car and then load it into the crates which I carry into the house and take back to the car empty.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 12:32 pm

I totally agree with this idea as it is only when it comes out of the pockets and purses of the shoppers that they will begin to be more environmentally-friendly with plastic bags.

Even better if this money goes to environmentalist causes.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 6:06 pm

I've been using canvas bags since they stopped offering paper as an option. 5p for a carrier bag? That's about 7c here and the grocery shops that still use them charge 20c or so for each one. Still doesn't help as the tourists just pay the money and go on.
    Tuppence
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

Ban them altogether and charge for paper one's instead.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 12:13 pm

TuppenceHapenny wrote:I've been using canvas bags since they stopped offering paper as an option. 5p for a carrier bag? That's about 7c here and the grocery shops that still use them charge 20c or so for each one. Still doesn't help as the tourists just pay the money and go on.
    Tuppence
    Yes Tuppence, as they say: "A fool and his/or her money are soon parted".

I guess that the tourists have too much money to spend in order to practice on holiday what they practice at home.

hughh wrote:Ban them altogether and charge for paper one's instead.
    I would not be against "banning them altogether" hughh, but if we did that then the environmentalist causes would lose out on a good source of income.

Another point about this is how recently a number of plastic bag manufacturers have designed and made bio-degradable bags, ( we get them given to us for free when we recycle our waste food up here in Scotland ), and I see no reason why this kind of a bag - if the consumers must have bags - could be issued for a small fee in supermarkets.

If this was done then it would be good for both worlds as the bags would degrade in nature and the environmentalist bodies would get the benefit of the cash raised by the charge.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm

bio-degradable bags, How long would these bags last in water ways and in the sea. Plastic bags are very dangerous to marine life. As such each time we see a plastic bag in the sea the dive boat diverts to collect it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

The answer is in the name: Biodegradable.

Biodegradable bags fully decompose in nature in about three to six months. Find this information HERE.

I do not know if this will be fast enough to protect animals that live in the sea but it will be much better than the present rate of degradation of petrochemical-based bags, ( they can take twenty or thirty or in some cases even hundreds of YEARS to degrade ).

Now that they are available to all, for many different uses, I see no reason why they cannot be used by everybody that needs to use plastic bags.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 2:33 pm

If it was left to me I would ban them altogether. The country sides littered with them. Just hope once customers get charged for them they will reuse them rather than throw them away. Biodegradable would certainly be much better than what we have at the moment.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

Yes Hughh, ban them if they are not biodegradable but restrict them anyway even if they are, as there are many better ways to carry stuff.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

I understand where Hughn is coming from on this one, although many baga are now biodegradable, there is still an appreciable time when they remain dangerous to wildlife.

There is so much non-biodegradable stuff in the seas for it to be a danger for many years to come.

One of my personal hates is the plastic beer can ties, they are strong and lethal for wildlife such as hedgehogs, who get their heads wedged in them and strangle when the other parts catch in undergrowth and fencing.

I would like to see the return of the paper carrier bag, although I take my own bags when I go shopping.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

Yes HG, the "six-pack" ties are the worst bits of plastic kit that can be allowed to go into nature, while all non-biodegradable wrappers and bags really need to be banned ASAP.

As I said above, the biodegradable bags that are being made now break down in nature in about three weeks to a month, and even if that is also too slow it is better than the other plastic materials that take years or even centuries to break down.

We are heading in the right direction here even if, like all things political and commercial, the wheels grind exceedingly slowly.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:07 am