Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Another Super Puma goes down.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Another Super Puma goes down.

Post by Angie baby on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:58 pm

It was shocking to see in the news last night that another Super Puma helicopter has crashed into the North Sea killing four of it's passengers.

I know that the authorities are trying to distance themselves between the different versions of this type of helicopter but I think that now that they have generally got such a bad name they will find it very difficult to get adopted on such over-sea journeys any more.

Maybe it is time that they went to a different make altogether.

Don't you good folks agree ?
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Re: Another Super Puma goes down.

Post by hughh on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:03 pm

I don't trust any helicopter after seeing so many crash while in the navy. Would give the workers a little more confidence if they changed.

Last edited by hughh on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

There is nothing worse than personal experience of a helicopter crash.

I have always been a bit reserved about flying in helicopters as to me they are just bricks with engines in them.

I have to agree with Angie that now that a couple of sub-types of Super-Pumas have been disgraced it will be hard to get the oil-rig bears to fly in any of them ever again.

It was on the news yesterday that around fifty percent of all flights to offshore installations are done by Super-Puma and that suggests to me that the oil-rig bosses should look at the helicopters that carry the other fifty percent without any problems.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:33 pm

AND, I was hearing in the news yesterday that a Sikorsky helicopter ( nothing to do with the Super Puma ), on North Sea duty had to be grounded after it developed a fault too.

It is starting to look as if these 'copters are being sabotaged, or am I just showing my paranoid side ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

Maybe a bit paranoid Zath', but I have always thought that that is a good way to be.

On this subject, I was shocked to hear that all of the Super Puma helicopters have been allowed back into service as from last night. ???

I mean, how can they come to that conclusion when the black box flight recorder of the downed helicopter was only recovered late yesterday and nobody has yet been able to scrutinise the data in it.

Being the old cynic that I admit to being I think that the oil companies - that are losing millions every minute they cannot get rig-staff back and forth to the rigs - have influenced the outcome here so that they can stop losing money, and for no other reason.

Maybe the oil-rig workers unions will not let their members fly on these helicopters until a full investigation has been made about why the last one crashed.

Something very fishy going on here.

What say you ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 31 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm

Yes, they were a bit quick in putting those helicopters back into the air.

If another Super Puma crashes into the North Sea they will be destroyed and their company will go under too. ( Sorry for the pun ). Embarassed
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:51 am

I was reading yesterday that the "bears" had been given an ultimatum by the oil-companies to either fly back and forth to the rigs with the Super Pumas or lose their jobs.

Now THAT cannot be right however you look at it.

Of course, many people do not know that there is NOT any presence of any trade-unions on ANY of the British North Sea oil rigs.

Now THAT is not right either.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:47 am