Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Fracking Protestors

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Fracking Protestors

Post by hughh on Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

I don't know your views on fracking but there as been no bad reports from America on this type fuel extraction so I assume its ok. What annoys me is hundreds of people from all over the place are flooding in to block a legal operation. They say to give support to the locals. Truth is they are full time trouble makers living on benefits I expect, and will cost million in police time and a lot of money in council money to clean up. The area will be polluted with human waste matter. All these not on my back door people will get all they deserve.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Fracking Protestors

Post by papa_umau on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 9:57 am

As a confirmed environmentalist I have mixed feelings about this.

I do not want to encourage the oil companies to keep winning and extracting fossil-fuels by ANY method, and if we go the way of America we will find that the billions of cubic metres of gas and even oil that can be won by fracking will just perpetuate the common habit attached to burning of fossil fuels.

Instead of finding new and questionable ways of winning gas and oil, we should be working at harnessing the renewables as best we can so as to prepare the world for a clean and green future.

The vested interests in the oil-companies will always make the winning of fossil-fuels look innocuous and the fracking method will get the same whitewashing as coal and oil and gas have already been given.

I just do not trust the oil-companies to do the right thing here.

The other side of this argument is the NIMBY one where reople just do not want dirty fossil fuels being won on their doorstep but they are quite happy to ensure that the prices they pay for dirty energy are kept down by using methods like fracking.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 9:41 pm

I didn't start this post on the rights and wrong on fracking. These people are out to course trouble at the expense of us tax payers. Each one of them should be checked to see if they are on benefits if they are, it should be stopped because they are not looking for work. All these people are doing is costing us tax payers millions and police man hours and the drilling will continue.
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Fracking

Post by Technician on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:48 am

Hi all,

I can see both viewpoints here, and there is merit in both. I agree that many of the so called 'activists' look decidely doggy; but looks of course don't tell the story. The stupid thing is that those protesting in the south are not protesting at a fracking site!!. Quadrila is searching for OIL!!!.

All the previous fracking sites are very peacefull!!!. We had test drilling in the countryside a few miles from us ( for shale gas ) and to be honest no one knew they were there, and no protests.

I live, I am told under deposits of 'Bowland Shale' which has been now estimated to hold 10 times the ammount of gas they first thought was there. This deposit alone is enough to supply the country with gas for over 400 years!!!

To put my cards on the table, I think we need to go ahead with this technology as at present the green initiatives are costing us dear. To be honest I don't wish to continue to see the countryside peppered with windfarms, which I think themselves are an environmental blight on the landscape. Sea power seems a non starter, and yes I would not trust the energy companes no matter what source of energy they use.

We will just have to see what happens, but I do think the negatives have been over hyped. I think we have the potential for a valuable energy source here if it is safely managed and evaluated.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:23 am

When ever anything like this happens we will always see the hippy/lovvie-types people making their protest camps up.

I guess that that is just another way to protest against things that they feel are wrong.

Rightly or wrongly, they have every right to do this, just as we might if we wanted to.

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

In the mean time they are costing the tax payer millions along with the benefits they are collecting each week.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:12 pm

While I do not think that all of these protestors are "on the dole" or on benefits, I do think that many of them have to take time out of their lives to follow such a serious subject - at least in their minds.

Whenever the people rise up and peacefully protest, ( which is their God-given and democratic right ), this costs the taxpayers money for the policing of any such protests.

If this was not allowed, in order to save money then democracy would have been thrown right out of the window in favour of marshal law.

I do not think that anyone would want that to happen in our democratic country, do you ?

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 4:12 pm

These so called protesters would send us back into the dark ages. They have protested against Wind Farms, Building houses for the home less and so on. If they wanted to sink a new mine for coal they would protest against that. Just how do we suppose to get cheaper fuel supplies when we have to import it all the time. So these protests will go on removing police from a job that they suppose to be doing guarding us. If any of them are on benefits it should be stopped.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm

Again, different people protest about different subjects and we cannot tar them all with one brush.

The NIMBYs are usually well-heeled home-owners that do not want ANYTHING that might disturb their charmed lives, while the environmentalists honestly do feel that the oil, gas, and energy corporations are looking at profits alone and do not really care about the environment as long as their bottom line is secure.

So long as there is no money to be made in the renewables engineering the fossil-fuels giants will show little interest in it. THAT is why the environmentalists, ( one of which I pride myself to be ), will always be there pricking the consciences of the ones that put profit before the environment simply because the government have no clue where they want to stand on this issue.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:45 pm