Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Zero Hour Work Contracts

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Zero Hour Work Contracts

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:44 am

There are good and bad points to this idea. I know its been going on for some time in Tenerife, a small business can take on staff when they are busy and not have the worry and the expense of removing them if work suddenly goes slack. Could create loads of employment. There are many reasons this idea good be abused by employers. One is if you wish to get rid of some one give this person zero hour work.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12341
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Zero Hour Work Contracts

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm

The hotels and guest houses and the rest of the tourist trade have been using this technique for many years, so it is really old hat.

Looking at this from a workers point of view, ( as I always do ), I see why such part-time and as you call it "zero-hour" contracts can be a gift to the employers when they want to lift and lay staff with the least fuss. I do not see this method of employment giving any security of tenure to the people who are forced to take employment in this sector.

Also, this sector is where the largest numbers of illegal immigrant people are taken on by employers as they have no recourse to law or to any employment rights when they accept this kind of work.

Again, I think, a step back to the days of the "dark satanic mills", where workers were treated just like animals instead of human beings.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

Well at least it as now been brought to the fore front and rules can be made. I think it should be against the law for big corporations to be able to employ people with this type of contract. I have a friend in Tenerife who as a 3 hour contract but never seems to have any time off. Its an helpful type of contract for very small firms whose work could dry up at any time.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

Yes, this was a major item on the news yesterday and it come up with two points:

One...The "zero hours" contracts are almost all for the benefit of the employers but seldom for the benefit of the workers, and that needs to change.

Two... Strangely many people are happy to accept this way of doing as some of them actually like the flexibility of the lift-and-lay system.

Of course the employers who take on illegal aliens by this method need to be caught, and either heavily fined or jailed.

I do agree that official changes are going to be made in this nasty practice once the government get their finger out.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:12 pm

Its also going on with the use of self employed people only. This is mainly in transport.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

Yes, the use of the self-employed has always been a simple way for the big companies and corporations to short-cut the employment rules as when employing self-employed people they do not have to give them any security of tenure or any of the other conditions of employment found in long term direct contracts.

I know, as I "was that soldier" ! Twisted Evil

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm