Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Gibraltar and Spain

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Gibraltar and Spain

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:49 pm

I see Spain breaking EU rules by restricting freedom of movement between Gibraltar and Spain. Will the powers do anything about it we will just have to wait and see.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12186
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Gibraltar and Spain

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:50 am

Yes, a bit like the Falklands this has been a running sore for many years.

I have to admit that I do not know the details of how Gibraltar became British ground, but I have to say that I understand why Spain is doing what it is doing simple because Gibraltar IS connected to Spain and unlike the Falklands does not even have a sea separating it from the mainland.

Saying this I also can see the side of the Gibraltarians as they have felt British for so long now, ( like the Falklands ), they would feel abandoned if that area was handed back to Spain.

It is a very difficult subject and not one I could even start to fix from this position of lack of knowledge and looking in from the outside.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

Gibraltar as no real value money wise for UK, it was the gate way to the Med. so a great position to have. The rock it self is honey combed with tunnels and you could hide an army in side. With Spain in a financial mess the people of Gib want no part of it. Closing the boarder will do them financial harm the tourist arriving in Gib by ship will not be able to cross the boarder to spend any money. There must be quite a number of Spanish workers crossing the boarder to work so the Gib authorities could start playing the same stupid game.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 2:55 pm

The touble brewing up because of a reef they are creating to give a good breeding ground for fish and to build up the tourist trade in scuba divers
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

Should be a good test for Cameron to see how he deals with Spain and its backers.
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Gibraltar

Post by Technician on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 7:31 pm

Hi All,

It was the Dutch and British in the 18c that took over Gibraltar as a colony I belive, and it was ceded to the Uk under the treaty of Utrecht ( Historians will correct my errors if there are any !!). I have been to Gibraltar a number of times, having friends who lived very close.

What the hell use it is to the Uk in this day and age is anyones guess. The Gibraltarians want to be 'British', but to be fair its linked to Spain and as I see it its part of the Spanish landmass. Can't say there is much on the place apart from cheap booze and fags.

My mate thought we would be right at home by taking us out to a fish and chip shop 'on the rock' for Gods sake, and me and the missues live near Fleetwood!!. The rest of its a bit of a dump, unless you enjoy apes nicking your stuff and crapping on your head.

I am sure we could come to some sensible compromise with Spain, but of course Spain is itching for money as their own economy is down the toilet, and their border farce will end up effecting many Spanish who work on the rock. Apart from that it is probably against 'EU Rules' on border regulations to restrict movement or charge for access.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12186
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

Thanks for that bit of info' Technician. We are all a bit wiser now.

I think that Gibraltar was held on to by Britain as it had a very strategic position at the entry to the Med'. During the last war it was a vital spot for radar and the harbour facilities for the Allies.

Apart from the wishes of the very Englified citizens of the rock, who do not want Gib' handed back to the Spanish, I see no real strategic importance of this area now.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:44 am