Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Margaret Thatcher

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Margaret Thatcher

Post by hughh on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm

I still believe Margaret Thatcher was one of the best Prime Ministers we have ever had she made one blunder which was the poll tax, but she was trying to replace the very unpopular rates.
    Scargill took on Margaret Thatcher and not the other way round. He gave the northern miners a vote and then tried to force the Notts miners out without a vote. Because of this the Notts miners decided to carry on working and the police had to be used to give them that right. Scargill was not a very nice person and still living like a lord in a mansion which is costing thousands at the miners pension fund expense. They going through the courts to get him evicted.
    Unions had been taken over by extremist and needed to be curbed.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:01 am

She is still getting the blame for closing coal mines, but coal was being stocked piled almost every where, a very expensive burden on the tax payer. On top of this homes on the surface were being damaged by subsidence my home had to have repairs done. like every other home in mining areas. Halifax will still not give me home insurance I sure it in there small print that homes which have had subsidence will not be covered. All these things made coal mining in this country far to expensive and the closures continued under new labour.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

If Margaret Thatcher had remained in power she have done what Cameron now doing creating jobs in the private sector. She would never have used borrowed money to create jobs and get popular with the voters. We are now paying the price on their follies. Ivanhoe made a comment that I was in the forces when she was power, well I retired in June 1984 mid way through her term.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12192
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 12:10 pm

I guess that Thatcher will always polarise the opinions about what she did or did not do for the great British public while she was in power. So much so that most people either take one hard side or the other when discussing her.

In an attempt to balance the opinions of our Hughh, here is the other side of the coin from a leftish point of view:

The fact is, that Thatcher was a powerful and symbolic totem for the champions of capital and her unassailable credentials as the consummate class warrior of the late 20th century provide invaluable propaganda for her epigones at a time when all she constructed is now rapidly going down the toilet.

Her demise will allow the reconstruction of the myth that she saved Britain, that she was a great and fearless warrior, a visionary and a giant among world leaders. The inevitable link between her economic philosophy and the austerity measures currently being foisted onto the heads of the poorest and most defenceless will be made. The message will be clear: this is what she would have done. This is what she would have wanted and as she was so omniscient and all-powerful, a kind of credibility by association will be invoked to provide yet further justification for the coalitions reverse Robin Hoodery.

Against the oncoming flood of propaganda, lies, distortions and Orwellian changing of the past, the space for the truth will be remarkably small. But there will still be a space. So lets start filling it now and remind ourselves of the true legacy of the most pitiless, inhumane, greedy, venal and megalomaniacal creature ever to cross the threshold of 10 Downing Street:

The institutionalised corruption of privatising the nations essential utilities so her mates in the City could get ever richer.

The complete dismantling of entire industries and the communities that relied on them.

Engineering the biggest transfer of wealth from the poorest to the richest ever seen in the UK up to that point.

The cynical and immoral war-mongering in the Falklands for the sole purpose of conning a politically backward electorate in securing for her a further term in office.

Oh yes Hughh, Thatcher will be both the saviour of Britain from one point of view and the destroyer of Britain from the other point of view and nobody before or after her will have divided this great nation more than she has done.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:18 pm

The complete dismantling of entire industries and the communities that relied on them.

On this point we can share the blame with New Labour and union bosses the likes of Scargill. New labour cost the jobs of thousands in Derby by giving rail contracts to Germany, the company was saved by rushing through a new railway contract. New Labour continue with mine closures. The way I see it the very rich union barons were taking control of the labour party and for ever bringing out their members on strike while of course still collecting their own rather large pay packet. While all these strikes were taking place less pay people in transport, shops and their own families suffered. Many people on strike didn't want to but it was forced on them by flying picket men or known round here as Scargils hence men during last big miners strike. Many industries in Mansfield were closed and thousands lost their jobs while under new labour. Steel industry like mining the product wasn't wanted so had to close. Ship building with navy shrinking at an alarming rate new employment had to be found.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

As my old Irish grannie used to say: ( you will hear a lot from her here ),

"Two wrongs never made one right !"

In other words: Pointing out the weaknesses in the last New-Labour government, ( of which there were many ), will not make the weaknesses and the wrongs of the previous Tory governments under Thatcher any less wrong or even more palatable.

Only the Tory supporters looking through rose-tinted specs will see the few things that Thatcher did right, while they will not see the many things that she did wrong.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Shall we make some thing very clear I have never once voted for the tory party. Also I did not vote for new labour. After saying that I have done better under the conservatives party. What does annoy me the fact they keep on about M.T when in my view new labour as done far more harm to this country and the hardships we are now facing.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

I expect I sound very bias I still have very bad memories of the labour party before MT, when they al most put my family and many others into poverty. We were rescued by MT party when we were given a very large pay rise just to catch up. They were very cruel giving large pay rises to strong union members and making us pay the price to balance the books.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:10 pm

Yes there we agree again as I have never voted for the Tories either and I have some really bad memories that were generated during the awful reign of Blair and Brown.

What with the long three terms of the Thatcher government, brought to an end by John Major, the three terms of New-Labour ( which virtually copied everything that had gone before under Thatcher ), and this present term of cruel government led by an admitted Thatcherite, we have had right-wing government rammed down our throats for far too long.

Whether Ed Miliband's Labour government will even start to sort out this mess or not I don't know, but one thing is sure: he will have a very uphill struggle to bring his government back to hearts of the ordinary people of Britain.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 2:19 pm

Once we get out of that dreadful war it will save the tax payer loads of money we will just have to wait and see what happens then. Don't like the Eds policy of borrowing our way out of trouble and the voters will be waiting to see if all this hardship we are going through is worth while. Two more years ????
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:11 am

I think that the Labour party and possible next government have learned their lesson for "borrowing to spend", as they did in the past, as they now know that the people of Britain do not want artificial debt like that piling on to the deficit-pressure any more.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

That's all Ed Ball keeps saying we must borrow hasn't he learnt his lesson. Unless he changes his tune he won't get many votes apart from the benefit crowd.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm

Or from many of the others either.

I have often said that Ed Balls should be given the big "E" as he is a died-in-the-wool Blairite from way back.

More of a hindrance to Ed Miliband than an advantage.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:52 pm

If they had any sense they should get rid of both Eds they have a lot of catching up to do.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 10:12 am

Well, as far as that is concerned, I think it is too early to write Ed Miliband off as he has not yet had a proper chance to show what he is worth.

I do think that the British voting public and especially the Labour party supporters are waiting patiently to see what Ed Miliband is made of.

Like many other people, I will reserve my vote in this direction until just before the next general election.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm

I was very pleased when they chose Ed for their leader but he as not fulfilled my expectation. On PMs question time in my view apart from wagging his finger he says nothing of importance and Cameron just wipes the floor with him. He should be doing an hell of a lot better they have both been to top London Universities, so no excuse intelligence wise.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:14 am

Yes, sadly he does not have Blair's oratory abilities or his charisma, BUT, I do think that his head is in the right place.

As I said before, I do not plan to write him off until I see what he has done for us, or promises to do for us, up to and near the next election.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

I guess its a question of watch and wait but I have a feeling Cameron will buy the next general election.
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

Ed really as got to sort out some policies and start winning over some vote. No one really knows where they stand over Europe. UKIPs I believe going to take third place. If labour wins I feel they will need their help, new labour have lost them a lot of support and trust. I still feel the Conservatives will get back in and they won't need any one's help. My vote still going to UKIP I have never voted for the Conservative or the Labour party.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:46 am

And as I always say.....I think that Ed Miliband keeps his plans for Britain's future very close to his chest so that his opponents do not know what he is planning.

I mean, in a war - as war it certainly is - one does not give the enemy information that they could use to defeat their opponents.

I am sure that that is what Ed Miliband is doing at the moment.

Of course this does leave a lot of potential voters like you and me wondering what is going on.

I think that all will be made clear by Miliband during the hustings for the next general election.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:15 pm

If he doesn't watch out his back benchers will remove him because of his lack of lust.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:39 am

Actually Ed Miliband is closer to his "lefty" back-benchers than Blair or Brown ever were.

The people he needs to watch out for - in his own camp - are the hard core Blairites and the secret right-wingers who are left over from the old and mostly defunct New-Labour mob.

Not a lot of people know this, but Ed Milband comes from a Jewish/Marxist family and his dad was a very well admired Marxist intellectual.

Some of that is bound to rub off and I think it will show when he is given the chance to show it.

At least I hope so.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

"Once we get out of that dreadful war", yup totally agreed with that however I really don't feel the American gov will allow that to happen any time soon. Don't ask me why. Effing expensive for the tax payers, not to mention the morale probs we have.
    Tuppence
    hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by hughh on Mon 12 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm

Tuppence I will always give my own un bias views. One or two on here think I am a true blue tory, although I did very well under Margaret Thatcher I have never voted for the tories or the so called labour party they are both run by very rich people. At the moment I have no choice but to vote for UKIP. I don't think for a minute they will get in, but I feel they will take third place.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 12 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

Good luck and good to hear a sane voice.
    Tuppence

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:30 pm